Introducing Five Cool Things
Editor's note: This blog marks the debut of Five Cool Things, a new feature by Susan Froyd. Once a week, she'll muse on five Denver happenings worth celebrating. Don't let them slip through the cracks.
• Local actor Mare Trevathan on body image in Eve Ensler's one-woman show The Good Body: September 18-October 11, Aurora Fox Studio Theatre, $20.
• Lauri Lynnxe Murphy's fundraising project: Murphy is bucking the arts-funding bureaucracy by seeking to raise funds for Strange Fruit, a proposed large-scale public art project for Denver's 2010 Biennial of the Americas, through Kickstarter, a fundraising website where it's easy to make a pledge in the name of art. She hopes to raise $10,000 by the December deadline. Yee ha, Lauri! That's taking the bull by the horns! Will others follow suit?
• EndOtrend Explosion: Benefit for Bands for Lands, with OdAm fEI mUd, the MOTOMAN Project, the Construct and more, September 19, 8 p.m., at Motoman Project, 3505 Ringsby Ct., Bldg. B, $10.
• Sabin Aell Jewelry Design Collection: Sabin uses both found materials (rubber bands, wire, inner tubing) and the traditional kind (beads, crystals, metal findings) to make wearable art. Find her work at Mona Lucero Design Boutique, 2544 15th Street, or contact Sabin for an appointment at 720-309-1764. (And incidentally, Mona Lucero is ready for fall, with feather headbands by Melissa May, new fall styles from Equilibrium, sweaters by Pearl, menswear and more).
• The Friends of Historic Riverside Cemetery Doc-A-Block Program: Volunteer to to help document and catalogue more than 35,000 monuments for a digital archive. Training sessions will be offered from 10 a.m. to noon on September 19 and October 17.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Westword's biggest stories.
- Anti-Pot Group Prediction Coming True?: Illegal Grow Bust of 10 Foreign Nationals
Sat., Oct. 10, 5:00pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:05pm
Sun., Oct. 11, 12:00pm
- Reader: Broncos Fans Are So Frickin' Spoiled!
- West 32nd Avenue Restaurants Are Booming — And We Pick Our Ten Faves