Joan Cougar Menstrualcramp!: Top ten roller derby nicknames in the U.S.A.
One reason roller derby can seem campy is the nicknames the skaters give themselves, which are sometimes witty and sometimes cute and sometimes downright pee-your-pants intimidating.
Though some ultra-competitive skaters have abandoned their silly derby names and eyebrow-raising uniforms when they compete for national rankings, a concept explored in this week's feature, "Denver's Roller Derby Rivalry Could Start the Sport Rolling Across the Country," the entertainment-y aspects of derby are still a big part of what attracts fans.
With that in mind, we bring you our picks for top ten derby names in the country, as listed on the International Rollergirls' Master Roster website. The list prevents skaters from choosing the same name as someone else, which is considered bad form. There can be only one Carmen Slamdiego, after all.
10. Demonica Lewinsky, DC Rollergirls
9. Erin Dropabitch, River City Rollergirls
8. Teeny Mussolini, Dockyard Derby Dames
7. Gloria Hole, Brewcity Bruisers
6. Mazel Tov Cocktail, Blue Ridge Rollergirls
5. Joan Cougar Mentstrualcramp, Big Easy Rollergirls
4. Leave it to Cleavage, Sonoma County Roller Derby
3. Risky Bitchness, Syndicate Roller Girls
2. Slaybia Majora, Rose City Rollers
1. Beyonslay, Gotham Girls Roller Derby
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Westword's biggest stories.
- Marijuana May Cause Decreased Sperm Counts, New Study Finds
Fri., Sep. 4, 7:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:30pm
- Reader: Don't Say You're From Colorado Every Five Seconds Like a Vegan
- Denver Loves Sour Beer the Most, and Here's Why