Matt Arnold for Republican Party chair: Will he succeed Dick Wadhams with Army of Darkness?
Matt Arnold, the man behind Clear the Bench Colorado, has announced his intention to succeed Dick Wadhams as Colorado Republican Party boss -- and it promises to be a take-no-prisoners bid. The profile photo on his campaign Facebook page showcases a chainsaw-wielding Bruce Campbell from the cult fave Army of Darkness, and he uses the Saturday Night Live word "strategery" to describe his approach in the following release:
Matt Arnold throws his hat into the ring in the race for Colorado GOP State Chair
Insanity has been defined as "doing the same thing, over and over again, expecting a different result." For too long, the Colorado Republicans have been doing the same thing, over and over, and we've been losing.
This is why I am now announcing my candidacy for State Republican Party Chairman.
There is a clear choice in this race -- experienced and committed grassroots leadership based on proven commitment to principle and innovative thinking instead of "more of the same." We absolutely must capture the energy and commitment to principle that characterized the great grassroots uprising of the past two years, and I am just the candidate to do that.
There are some other great candidates in this race, but I will (and do) bring a whole other skill set to the table -- one that will breathe new life in the party and show we truly aren't insane.
My Message to Colorado Republicans:
There is one word that could sum up the new direction for our party leadership: strategery.
The party is fractured in how it supports and helps campaigns and issues, and in how we have promoted -- or failed to promote -- our core principles in order to advance sound policies. Taking a strategic approach will lead to victories in the battle of ideas and at the ballot box.
This is no longer, and can no longer be, the party of our fathers. An "Old School" approach equals continued failure. In order to survive, we must progress into the 21st century and only then can we go from playing catch-up to leading the messaging battle and win campaigns.
Perhaps the most important question is this. What is the role of the state party chair? My answer:
• Strategic planning -- the next state party chair must be more than a capable administrator and fundraiser; he must have the ability to plan strategically (which is more than just tactically managing campaigns) and help establish conditions for victory.
• Accountable leadership -- this all comes down to effectively representing, through word and deed, a commitment to the core principles of the Republican party. The chairman cannot simply be an administrator; he must demonstrate a willingness and ability to be a leader. The chairman must also be accountable to the members of this party. Transparency will be vital to this office in the next administration.
• Messaging -- as the face of the party, the state party chair must use the bully pulpit of the position to promote Republican themes that will assist and elevate ALL Republican candidates, at all levels. Thematic messaging can create the tide to lift all Republican boats -- and flood the opposition.
• Resourcing -- this includes but goes far beyond fundraising. Most importantly, the state party must effectively and efficiently use the funds raised to provide resources of value to all Republican candidates and causes.
• Organization -- the chair must be the central point of contact and infrastructure for campaigns, issues and candidates; facilitate networking and cooperation among various like-minded groups. The days of party dominance and hierarchies are disappearing and we have to create a new, highly networked foundation for the future.
We can no longer sit back and continue in the same old patterns, obtaining the same old bad results. We need accountability in our state party. We need strategic planning and effective organization. Above all, we need a grassroots leader who understands the people of this party and likeminded citizens across the state, and who understands effective, modern campaigning.
If you would like to be added to my rapidly growing list of voting Central Committee Members, grassroots and liberty-minded groups and individuals endorsing my candidacy, please contact me. I would love to have a conversation with you and earn your support. We must have an open dialogue, starting now, to move forward together as a party. I would sincerely appreciate your support and look forward to serving you after the election at the March 26th State Central Committee Meeting.
Learn more about why Matt Arnold is the grassroots choice for Colorado Republican Party Chair and get in touch on my Facebook page: Matt Arnold for Colorado GOP State Chair:
More from our Politics archive: "Clear the Bench's Matt Arnold: Court win for CO Ethics Watch a victory for big $ over little guy."