New Year's Eve is almost upon us, which means it's time for you and all your friends to argue endlessly about what to do, building the night up so much that it can only turn into a major letdown.
But! It doesn't have to be that way. Here, 10 events that may not totally suck and make you regret going out in the first place. For even more options, visit Westword.com's New Year's listings.
1. Hot Buttered Rum at Oriental Theatre
(Photo by Dave Fleishman)
The popular California bluegrassers pluck in the new year at the Oriental Theatre. 10 p.m., $15-$22/$30 2-day pass. Oriental Theater, 4335 W. 44th Ave., 303-455-2124, www.theorientaltheater.com.
2. The Motet at the Walnut Room
The eclectic Boulder band plays the Walnut Room. General admission includes free champagne toast; VIP includes laminate, commemorative poster, dinner, meet & greet with artist, free album and more, 9:30 p.m., $30/$70 VIP. The Walnut Room, 3131 Walnut St., 303-292-1700, www.thewalnutroom.com.
3. Widespread Panic at the Pepsi Center and after-party
Noodle your way into the new year with the popular jam band and an after party. With Yonder Mountain String Band., 8:30 p.m., $65. Pepsi Center, 1000 Chopper Pl., 303-830-8497, www.pepsicenter.comPanic After-Party: With Project Logic featuring DJ Logic Bernie Worrell, Leo Nocentelli, Poogie Bell, Ron Johnson and more, 2 a.m., $25/$45, www.responserecords.net. Westin Hotel Westminster, 10600 W. Westminster Blvd., Westminster, 303-410-5000.
4. AnySwing Goes with Lannie Garrett
A suave New Year's Eve with Lannie Garrett and her big band, with downtown fireworks viewing breaks at 9 p.m. and midnight and a classic champagne toast. Lannie performs beginning at 9:30 p.m. Party starts at 8 p.m., $100. Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret, 1601 Arapahoe St. (D&F Tower, lower level), 303-293-0075, www.lannies.com.
5. New Year's Eve Gala and Circa 2 Party into the wee hours in 25,000 square feet of fun, with more than 15 DJs, video projections, live laser and lighting show, live performers and go-go dancers and at midnight, a video reel countdown, balloon drop and champagne toast with noisemakers, hats, whistles and confetti. Wed., Dec. 31, 9 p.m., $60-$100, www.10592008.com. 1770 Sherman Street Event Complex, 1770 Sherman St., www.1770shermanstreet.com.
6. White Rose Gala The annual New Year's Eve bash and all-night after-party hosted by Kevin Larson Presents and Image Magazine takes over the Westin, with a Garden of Eden theme, live music, DJ dance music, swimming pool, wee-hour celebrities and more. 9 p.m., $60-$75 main event, $35 and up for after-party; $149 special room rate available for guests, www.whiterosegala.com. Westin Hotel Westminster, 10600 W. Westminster Blvd., Westminster, 303-410-5000.
7. New Year's at the Mercury Cafe
Erotic Poetry Festival and tribal belly dancing, dining to live music, live music and dancing to David Booker, Argentine Tango with Altenativo Milonga and more. 5:30 p.m.-2 a.m., $5 poetry, $20 David Booker, $5 tango dancing. Mercury Cafe, 2199 California St., 303-294-9281 or 303-294-9258, www.mercurycafe.com.
8. Hotel Boulderado
Period costumes from all eras are encouraged at this five-course dinner (paired with specialty wines), dancing, champagne toast and balloon drop; an overnight-stay option is available, as is a salsa party option. Reservations recommended. $75-$694. Hotel Boulderado, 2115 13th St., Boulder, 303-442-4344, www.boulderado.com.
9. Glenwood Hot Springs New Year's Eve Celebration
Soak until 1 a.m. at an alcohol-free, all-ages hot springs swimming party, with noisemakers, prize drawings and more. $9.25-$13.25. Glenwood Hot Springs Pool and Athletic Club, 401 North River St., Glenwood Springs, 1-970-947-2955, www.hotspringspool.com.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
10. Starship Troy Finale and New Year's Eve Winter Semi-Formal
Buntport Theater's ongoing live sitcom comes to and end, followed by a party. 8 p.m., $20. Buntport Theater, 717 Lipan St., 720-946-1388, www.buntport.com.