Peyton Manning's Broncos signing causes Twitter eruption
Peyton's Place: Star quarterback Peyton Manning's decision to join the Denver Broncos caused an instant eruption Monday on Twitter, whose users were divided on whether the move is brilliant or idiotic. Some of the first, passionate reactions showed both love and hate for Manning, as well as for Tim Tebow, the man he's likely to replace.
• PEYTON MANNING PICKED DENVER BRONCS HELL MOTHERFUKIN YES!! IM THE HAPPIEST CHIC RIGHT NOW XODE! WOOT WOOT!! : )
• Peyton Manning Is Said to Be Headed to Broncos: nyti.ms/xj96sw NOOOOOOO You stupid stupid man!
• I love how John Elway said Tebow wasn't going anywhere and then he goes and gets Peyton Manning #wellplayed #Tebowing4Tebow
• Peyton Manning is going somewhere where #18 is already retired. Fuck you Peyton.
• Broncos fans stuck by Tebow for a while...then Manning came and well, he's Peyton fucking Manning.
• Absolutely unbelievable. Peyton Manning is a Denver Bronco. Best day in Broncos history since Super Bowl XXXIII
But the most hilarious tweets came, as always, from @FakeJohnElway, an anonymous tweeter who skewers Elway, the Broncos, players and opponents on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes biting, sometimes gently sarcastic, @FakeJohnElway's tweets are almost always spot-on. From Monday:
• While Peyton Manning is our new starting quarterback, we'll never forget everything Ted Bebow has done for this team.
• Peyton Manning gives us the best chance to win.
And from earlier this year:
• Oh yeah, Bud? I offered Peyton a contract "for infinity plus infinity."
• Peyton is begging us to sign him but I need more time to think. Don't want to hurt Timmy's feelings or offend his fans. Real tough decision.
• Brady Quinn went over the boss's head in this GQ article by criticizing Tim Tebow. That's my job. #fireableoffense
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Cannabis Time Capsule, 1908: Teddy Roosevelt Eating Hash in Africa?
- Reader: If Only Salaries In Denver Would Increase Like Housing Costs!
- An Eternal Question: Are Colorado Girls Really Better Than California Girls?