Photos: Ten states (including Colorado) most likely to survive the Zombie Apocalypse
Photos and more below.
Photo by Aaron Thackeray
What states would be the most and least susceptible to annihilation should the Zombie Apocalypse prove to be an actual thing? The folks at Estately considered this important question -- and Colorado was ranked among those states whose citizens were most likely to survive.
Why? That's explained below with a little help from Estately excerpts and photos from our "Zombie Crawl 2013" slide show. Continue to count down the top ten.
Note: The metrics used by Estately to determine the rankings are as follows:
1. Active Military Personnel: States with more soldiers per capita means states with more people who are physically fit, trained to fight, and have access to weapons.
2. Military Veterans: Percentage of veterans per capita is a solid way of measuring fighting experience.
3. Physically Active: States with residents who rarely get out of their Laz-E-Boy will not escape the zombie menace.
4. Martial Arts Enthusiasts: Hand-to-hand combat is an important skill when the ammo runs out (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "martial arts" as an interest).
5. People with Survival Skills: In the long run, knowing how to survive without modern conveniences in a collapsed society will be critical (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "survival skills" as an interest).
6. People with Knowledge of Zombies: To know your enemy you must know their ways (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "zombies, Resident Evil, Zombieland, and The Walking Dead" as interests).
7. Laser Tag Enthusiasts: Yes, laser tag. Few things prepare you for a zombie attack in enclosed space (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "laser tag" as an interest).
8. People with Guns: Shooting a zombie in the head is really the best way to defeat a zombie, and to do that you need a gun.
9. Obesity: The obesity epidemic will yield to the zombie epidemic because the obese will struggle with running away from zombies. It's really very simple.
10: Paintball Enthusiasts: Those who can slink around the woods unnoticed while splattering their enemies with paint will find success shooting zombies in nature (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "paintball" as an interest).
11. Triathletes: When everything breaks down, running, swimming, and bicycling will be ideal ways to escape zombies (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "Ironman triathlon" as an interest).
Number 10: Wisconsin
Should the zombies enter an office building in Wisconsin, they'll face a large number of people prepared to shoot zombies in confined areas because Wisconsin is home to the most laser tag enthusiasts per capita in America. Wisconsin is awesome.
Number 9: New Hampshire
New Yorkers fleeing a zombie apocalypse will drive up real estate prices when the move to the Granite State, the most prepared in the Northeast.
Continue to keep counting down the ten states most likely to survive the Zombie Apocalypse.Next Page
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.