Pot lands on Bill Ritter's desk -- but protesters will be outside
Last night, with less than a day to go in this legislative session and plenty of work still to be done, the House reluctantly accepted the amendments the Senate had made to HB 1284 and passed the bill (by a 46 to 19 vote) that will regulate the operation of medical-marijuana dispensaries in this state -- and inevitably put some out of business.
The measure now moves to Governor Bill Ritter, who has thirty days to sign it. But even as it lands on his desk in the State Capitol, protesters will gather outside and march to the Governor's Mansion on May 15 to protest the bill -- and, since this is a proposal about pot, hold a drum circle.
The details (from the Cannabis Therapy institute website):
11:00 am: MARCH from Civic Center Park to Governor's Mansion
Meet on the East Side of Civic Center Park, between Colfax and 14th Street @ Broadway
March route: South on Broadway to 7th Street, then walk east 4 blocks to Logan.
12:15 pm to 3:00pm: RALLY AND STRONG DRUM CIRCLE
Governor's Park, in the backyard of the Governor's Mansion
7th and Logan, Denver, CO
- Drums and other percussion instruments. - Friends with drums and other percussion instruments - Protest signs - Water, food and sunscreen - Chairs and blankets
PLEASE DO NOT BRING:
- Cannabis (This is a non-smoking event.) - Alcohol (Always illegal in public parks.) - Trash (Pack It In/Pack It Out. Zero-Waste Event.)
This won't be the only action protesting the bill. Even before it passed out of the Senate, attorneys were talking about lawsuits arguing that the measure violates the Colorado constitution -- the only state constitution in the country that codifies medical marijuana as legal, thanks to Amendment 20.
It ain't over 'til it's over.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Westword's biggest stories.
- Reader: Bars Will Lose a Ton on Drink Sales If They Let People Smoke Weed
- Thirty Mind-Blowing Murals at the Heart of Project Colfax
- The Mexican Says Adiós to Denver