Sensible Colorado tries to draw a crowd to Board of Health's medical-marijuana hearing
As Patricia Calhoun points out in this morning's Wake-Up Call, the Colorado Board of Health is holding an "Emergency Rulemaking Hearing" at 10:30 a.m. this morning; it takes place in Building A at the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment headquarters, 4300 Cherry Creek Drive South. The spur: A Colorado Court of Appeals judgment last week that went against Stacey Clendenin, whose 44 pot plants seized in a 2006 bust were intended to supply medical-marijuana patients, some of whom she'd never met.
The marijuana-advocacy organization Sensible Colorado fears the Clendenin decision will be used to place significant restrictions on medical-marijuana providers: A note on its website declares, "This is not a drill, people. Threat Level Red!" With that in mind, SC is hoping to pack the hearing with people who agree with Sean McAllister, the group's co-chairman, as well as the head of Sensible Breckenridge, which is pushing a marijuana decriminalization measure that goes before voters in the town today. As McAllister told Westword last week, "The only people who can limit medical marijuana are the voters."
Look below to read Sensible Colorado's call to attend today's hearing:
CO Health Board to vote on Tuesday (11/3) to Weaken Medical Marijuana Law
In an underhanded move, the Colorado Board of Health will be voting to weaken the medical marijuana law at an "emergency" meeting on Tuesday, November 3 at 10:30am in Denver. At this stealth meeting the Board will be voting to redefine what a "caregiver" is to require such individuals to provide supplementary-- and often unnecessary-- services beyond simply providing sick patients with medical marijuana.
"This is like requiring my pharmacist to give me a massage or make me a sandwich," said Dan Pope, muscular dystrophy patient and medical card holder. "I can do those activities myself. I need a caregiver to give me medicine. End of story."
This meeting, which was announced in a late afternoon email to a small handful of patient advocates, is another example of the state engaging in underhanded tactics in their effort to undermine the medical marijuana law and the will of the Colorado voters. Please help hold them accountable.
Here's How You Can Help:
(1) Attend the Meeting. This meeting will occur at 10:30am on Tuesday, November 3 in the Snow Room, 1st Floor Building A of the Colorado Department of Public Health and the Environment, 4300 Cherry Creek Dr. South, Denver CO.
(2) Call-in to the Meeting. While we strongly prefer that you attend in person, you can also call-in at 1-866-899-5399, conference code *3529725*
(3) Spread the Word. Please tell friends and family to attend the meeting and forward this alert widely!
Get the Marijuana Newsletter
Stay informed of the latest marijuana news and views with updates about dispensaries, strains, products, changes to the law, and special offers in your area.
- Marijuana Strain Review: Mint Chocolate Chip at Canna-bis
- Reader: Big Hotels Would Like to Kill Short Term Rentals
- What Pisses Off Five Points Residents?