Top 10 moments in 10 years of Invesco Field at Mile High -- soon to be Sports Authority Field
It's official: Invesco Field at Mile High is about to become Sports Authority Field at Mile High. But before all the signs are changed, what were the top ten moments during the nearly ten years under the Invesco name? Here's the list and text from the history section of the Invesco Field website -- and surprisingly enough, the Broncos only figure in one of the selections. Count 'em down below.
10. Eagles Concert "The Eagles concert was the first event held at INVESCO Field at Mile High on August 11, 2001. The event itself served as the unveiling of the recently finished and state-of-the-art stadium."
9. Bruce Springsteen Concert "INVESCO Field was one of the last stops in Bruce Springsteen's 'Rising Tour' that traveled throughout the United States and Europe. On September 25, 2003 Bruce Springsteen played to the thousands that filled the stadium."
8. Summer Sanitarium Tour "On August 1, 2003, INVESCO Field at Mile High hosted the Summer Sanitarium Tour in which thousands of fans attended to see Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, the Deftones and Mudvayne."
7. Drums Along the Rockies "The finest drum and bugle corps from across the nation showcase their talent as they make their way to the Drum Core International World Championships. Mile High previously hosted the event for several years, and has since continued at INVESCO Field at Mile High. In 2004, INVESCO was the host of the DCI World Championships."
6. AFC Championship Game "On January 22, 2006, INVESCO Field at Mile High hosted the AFC Championship game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. After a winning 13-3 record that year, the Denver Broncos were defeated 34-17."
5. Rocky Mountain Showdown "This is a rivalry football game between the University of Colorado and Colorado State University that dates back to the 1800's. Recently, INVESCO Field, Colorado State University and the University of Colorado signed a deal to bring the Rocky Mountain Showdown to INVESCO Field through 2019."
4. Democratic National Convention "Marking the 100 year anniversary of this event taking place in Denver, on August 25 - 28, 2008, INVESCO Field at Mile High was home to the final night and acceptance speech of Senator Barrack Obama. Approximately 84,000 people attended then Presidential Nominee Barak Obama's speech, exceeding the normal capacity of the stadium due to the placement of the audience on the field."
3. Warped Tour "INVESCO Field at Mile High has been host to this annual concert tour since 2003, one of the longest consecutive Warped Tour locations. Attracting thousands, the tour combines several familiar bands with many bands from around the country."
2. Denver Outlaws Lacrosse "As part of the Western expansion in 2006, Major League Lacrosse made its way to Denver, Colorado and INVESCO Field at Mile High. The Denver Outlaws professional lacrosse team plays at INVESCO Field each year from May to July."
1. Championship Saturday "Each year the 4A and 5A High School Football Championships are played at INVESCO Field at Mile High. The Colorado Sports Hall of Fame, the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA) and INVESCO Field partner each year to bring the games to INVESCO Field at Mile High, dating back to 2005."
More from our News archive: "An empty I-25 outside Invesco Field for the Obama speech."
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Westword's biggest stories.