Top 5 most photogenic Colorado locations for the Dougherty gang to have been nabbed
It was a made-for-the-media story: a trio of on-the-lam siblings -- one a stripper, one a sex offender -- flee Florida and land in Colorado, where the Dougherty Gang was caught yesterday morning near Walsenburg.
Caught on one of the less telegenic stretches of I-25, which means this Bonnie and Clyde and Clyde are definitely guilty of robbing Colorado tourism of a photo op.
Five better places -- for this state's tourism efforts, at least -- where Lee Grace Dougherty, Ryan Edward Dougherty and Dylan Dougherty Stanley could have been caught:
5) Rocky Ford. As long as they were cruising through southeast Colorado, the trio could have least stopped by a melon patch in nearby Rocky Ford, and gotten some press for one of this state's favorite fruits.
4) The Arkansas River. A quick trip from Canon City to the Arkansas River would have given the world a look at the site of "Over the River," Christo's next project, and really wrapped up this case.
3) Dougherty's. There's not much room for cameras in this little neighborhood pub, but the reporters who couldn't get into Dougherty's could instead have turned their cameras on all the action in this now-booming section of Broadway. Dougherty's is no relation to the Doughertys, by the way.
2) Pikes Peak. A very low-speed chase up Pikes Peak would have provided the world with hours of views of Colorado's purple mountain majesty.
1) Red Rocks. Denver's iconic amphitheater, is a stunning sight, and on a weekday morning it's usually filled with exercising Coloradans, which would have provided an attractive backdrop for the bust. Added bonus: Since Red Rocks belongs to the City of Denver, an arrest here would have gotten Mayor Michael Hancock some of that national press he's looking for.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Westword's biggest stories.
- 4/20 + 7/10 = 11/30 Danksgiving in Our Marijuana Calendar
Wed., Dec. 9, 7:00pm
Wed., Dec. 9, 8:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 7:35pm
- Flobots' Jamie Laurie to Receive Open Media Foundation Award
- D'Andre Mayfield, R.I.P.: Search Continues for Alleged Killer Kenneth Banks