Earlier this week, I published an essay about moving to Denver from Los Angeles in my four-cylinder Kia Rio, and how I adapted to a new life as a transplant. My first year in Denver was filled with important lessons and discoveries, but I still have a ways to go before I’ll feel completely settled in Colorado. To help get there, I’ve compiled a list of New Year's resolutions and Colorado bucket-list items for 2016. Perhaps they'll resonate among some of the other 100,986 people who moved to Colorado in the past twelve months.
1. Sell the Kia Rio and get a Subaru.
2. Learn more John Denver lyrics. I’ve been told I’m seriously lacking in this area.
3. Hit every dive bar on Colfax.
Den-Mex Fried Tacos..Yum?
4. Try out fried tacos, which I hear are a Denver creation.
5. Force myself to adapt to Colorado lingo, like saying “pop” instead of “soda,” and “sack” instead of “bag.”
10th Mountain Division Hut Association website
6. Go “skinning” on a “hut trip,” because I guess that’s a thing here.
9. Get a Colorado girlfriend (does not necessarily need to be from Colorado, but must live here. Interested readers, please e-mail the author.)
Rhinoceropolis seems like a quaint, relaxing spot...
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
10. Explore more Denver places that are on my radar but I didn’t get to in 2015, like Rhinoceropolis, Comrade Brewing Company, and Wax Trax Records.
11. Make a birthday cake using blunts as candles. I’ve always wanted to do that.
12. Support and get to know more local bands and artists.