Which Canadian artists caused Northwest pilots to zone out for half a continent?
"I'm in the mood for a little Canuck rock. How 'bout you?"
Back in October, the pilots of a Northwest Airlines flight lost radio contact over Denver, and didn't get back in touch until they'd overshot their destination, Minneapolis, by 150 miles. Shortly thereafter, reports surfaced that the jet jockeys had been so engrossed by their laptops that they'd lost track of time, prompting our list of websites most likely to have mesmerized them. Love Garfield Minus Garfield and Pets in Clothes.
Yesterday, however, Channel 4 made a new discovery: The plane's radio had ended up on a Canadian frequency, presumably explaining why an air traffic controller between here and the northern border didn't manage to snap the pilots out of their stupor.
Nevertheless, questions remain. Like, for instance: Were they searching for Canadian music on their radio? And if so, what artists so hypnotized them that they lost track of time in such an epic way? Here are the odds on five likely candidates:
5. Bachman Turner Overdrive Odds: 20-1 Reason: If the pilots had been listening to BTO, they would've been "Takin' Care of Business."
4. Alanis Morissette Odds: 10-1 Reason: No doubt tuning in Alanis would have been "Ironic." But "You Oughta Know" would have been a powerful reminder to walk the straight and narrow -- or at least get to a theater immediately.
3. Neil Young Odds: 7-1 Reason: Young's material is certainly capable of casting a spell. But no one could nod off while "Rockin' in the Free World."
2. Gordon Lightfoot Odds: 3-1 Reason: A definite possibility. Still, it's hard to imagine the pilots not remembering their duties during "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."
1: Anne Murray Odds: 1-1 Reason: One listen to this "Snowbird" and they would have been out cold...
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Westword's biggest stories.
- Reader: Denver Doesn't Have Many Hip Burbs
Sat., Oct. 10, 5:00pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:05pm
Sun., Oct. 11, 12:00pm
- Should Restaurants Be Good Right Away or Can We Grade New Ones on the Curve?
- Denver, Boulder Panhandling Rules Changing Due to Sweeping Court Ruling