Family members of the victims in several mass murders, including Columbine and the Aurora theater shooting, are calling on the federal government to establish a protocol for a "national compassion fund" that would ensure that any money donated in the wake of a tragedy goes directly to the victims. " ... More >>
Five months after suffering their own losses, family members associated with deceased victims in the Aurora theater shooting have set up a fund to help Newtown school shooting victims, including Emilie Parker, age six, pictured here. Calling themselves VictimsFirst, the group said the money will go ... More >>
The families of the twelve people who died in the Aurora theater shooting and the victims who were brain injured or paralyzed will split 70 percent of the $5 million left in the Aurora Victim Relief Fund, while those who suffered less severe physical injuries will share the remaining 30 percent, acc ... More >>
Ken Feinberg, the "special master" of the Aurora Victim Relief Fund, stood Thursday night in a suit and tie before a couple dozen theater shooting victims at the Aurora library and explained his idea for doling out the more than $5 million in donations to the fund: The "bulk of the money" to the fam ... More >>
Update below: Families representing eleven of the twelve people who died in the Aurora theater shooting have asked Colorado's attorney general and secretary of state to investigate Community First Foundation and its website, GivingFirst.org, which collected more than $5 million in donations to the A ... More >>
In a very brief press conference at the State Capitol announced less than an hour before it began, Governor John Hickenlooper introduced Ken Feinberg as the new "special master" for the Aurora Victim Relief Fund -- almost a full month after victims' families first came together to express their frus ... More >>
Update: Rich Audsley, speaking for the 7/20 Recovery Committee, has released a statement responding to criticism from families of Aurora theater shooting victims. It's included after our original coverage.
Tom Teves, the father of Aurora theater shooting victim Alex Teves, lambasted the way Giving ... More >>
The Aurora location of Yogurtland, 18191 East Hampden Avenue, will donate 100 percent of all sales to the Aurora Victim Relief Fund today. The fund, which was set up by the Community First Foundation in partnership with Governor Hickenlooper, has raised over three million dollars thus far.
Around the country, people are trying to come to grips with the horrors of the shootings in Aurora, and trying to do something, anything, to help. In Columbus, Ohio, the 165 members of the Harmony Project choir quickly came together and in 24 hours recorded the single "How We Love," dedicated to the ... More >>
GivingFirst.org, Community First Foundation's online giving resource for Colorado, is helping Coloradans -- such as those at last night's vigil (right) find local organizations that are dedicated to helping victims and families of the July 20 shooting -- and is matching donations up to $200,000.
Colorado Gives Day, the 24-hour online charity blitz that won Best Philanthropic Endeavor in our 2011 Best of Denver contest, raised a total of $12.7 million for 928 local nonprofits on December 6 and 7 of this year. So which nonprofits garnered the most donations?
Update: Colorado Gives Day, the one-day online charity marathon that began at midnight on Tuesday but extended until noon today due to technical difficulties, raised $12 million for 932 local nonprofits, according to a preliminary count.
Update: The numbers are in! More than 18,700 donors contributed over $8 million to more than 500 nonprofits in 24 hours yesterday during the inaugural Colorado Gives Day. That's eight times more than organizers expected to raise.