A pre-Thanksgiving recipe that trots out turkey
Thanksgiving is still two weeks away, but should you feel like tackling a turkey early (you know, just for practice), Dedric McGhee, exec chef of Thyme on the Creek, the in-house restaurant at the Millennium Harvest House in Boulder (and the former chef of El Monte Sagrado in Taos), offers this recipe for Southwestern-style turkey enchiladas.
Green Chile Turkey Enchiladas
1 tbsp butter 1 medium onion, peeled and diced 1 tsp minced garlic 2 tbsp flour 1 cup chicken broth 2-4 ounce cans of chopped green chiles ¼ tsp cumin 1/3 tsp oregano 1/3 tsp coriander powder 1 ½ cups shredded turkey 2 cups cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses 1 pack corn tortillas 1 pint sour cream 2 green onions, chopped Salsa
1. Add the butter to a warm sauté pan. 2. Add onions and sauté until translucent. 3. Add garlic and cook until it becomes aromatic. 4. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. 5. Pour both cans of green chiles into pan. 6. Add cumin, oregano, coriander, chicken broth and a little salt and pepper. 7. Simmer for 5 minutes at low heat. 8. Place turkey in a mixing bowl. Add 1/3 cup of the green chile mix, 1/3 cup of sour cream, 1/3 of the cheese mixture and salt and pepper. Mix well. 9. Grease a 13x9 baking dish. 10. Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of filling in each tortilla and roll up. Place the rolled tortillas in the baking dish seam-side down. Continue to add rolled tortillas until the top layer is filled. 11. Pour the rest of the green chile on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. 12. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Serve with sour cream, green onions and salsa.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Weekend Updates: New Hours for Old Major; Hot Dogs at Baur's
- Natural Grocers Macadamia Nut Mix Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination
- "Money Is Not the Goal": Left Hand Brewing Converts to Employee Ownership
- Rosa Mia Inn in Berkeley Neighborhood to Become Nip & Sip From Centennial/Jonesy's...