Earlier this afternoon around 2:30 p.m. when I walked into Luca D'Italia for a meeting, the room was dark, and so, too, were the the dining rooms at Bones and Vesper Lounge, all of which are Frank Bonanno's restaurants. Just a few minutes earlier, I learned, the electricity had gone out, a result of a small rooftop fire. "Xcel is here, but they're telling us that we probably won't get electricity back until tomorrow," sighed Eric Cimino, exec chef of Luca, who was juggling a hundred things at once, including a delivery of hedgehog mushrooms, which he sent packing. "We're trying to figure out what to do with all the product we have for three restaurants; we don't have the space for the mushrooms," he said apologetically to the delivery guy, who was asked to come back tomorrow.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
No one was injured, but Luca, Bones and Vesper are all closed tonight. Mizuna, Bonanno's restaurant that sits just to the west of Vesper, wasn't affected and is open for dinner as usual.