Brussels sprout slaw for an easy side on Meatless Monday
It's the time of year when everyone is trying to eat healthier, and this dish, adapted from an online recipe, is a good option, with Brussels sprouts, olive oil, almonds and just a smidge of honey. We increased the amount of dressing amount and used vegan Parmesan instead of actual cheese; you can also substitute maple syrup or agave for the honey.
You will need:
1 pound Brussels sprouts 1/3 cup smoked almonds 1/3 cup dried cranberries 1/3 cup vegan Parmesan 1/2 cup olive oil 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup or other substitute) 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 2 garlic cloves Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
You can buy sprouts that have already been shredded, use a food processor to shred them to slaw consistency, or even try a knife.
1. Chop the almonds.
Chop the cranberries.
2. Measure the olive oil into a large bowl.
Add the mustard and the apple cider vinegar.
Add the honey (or sweetener of your choice).
Press the garlic cloves into the dressing.
Use a whisk to mix everything thoroughly.
3. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts to the bowl.
Add the almonds.
Add the cranberries.
Add the vegan Parmesan. (Or regular, if you just want to go vegetarian.)
Season to taste.
Mix everything together until the sprouts are evenly coated with the dressing and the almonds, cranberries and seasoning are evenly distributed throughout. Serve and enjoy!
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Weekend Updates: New Hours for Old Major; Hot Dogs at Baur's
- Natural Grocers Macadamia Nut Mix Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination
- "Money Is Not the Goal": Left Hand Brewing Converts to Employee Ownership
- Rosa Mia Inn in Berkeley Neighborhood to Become Nip & Sip From Centennial/Jonesy's...