No one's saying you have to go meatless just because it's Monday -- but as incentive to join the growing movement, every week we're offering an animal-free recipe.
If you've tried our banana walnut muffins or peanut-butter cookies, then you know vegan baking isn't nearly as difficult as it's made out to be -- and the results are awesome. These scones are a bit more challenging, but they're perfect for a tasty and filling breakfast.
You will need:
1 tablespoon egg replacer (or equivalent of 1 egg) 3 tablespoons water (or follow egg-replacer instructions) 3 cups flour 1/3 cup sugar, plus some for sprinkling on top 4 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup non-hydrogenated, non-dairy butter (Earth Balance is best) 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. Whisk the egg replacer and water together until fully blended and fluffy.
2. Thoroughly mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the butter (which should be cold) to the dry ingredients.
Use a pastry blender or two knives criss-crossing to cut the butter into small pieces the size of bread crumbs, which should create a crumbly batter. If you'd like your scones flakier, keep some butter pieces about the size of peas.
There we go!
4. Mix in the chocolate chips. (If you like, you can use this recipe with other additions -- try 1/2 cup dried cranberries with the zest from an orange.)
5. Add the egg replacer and 1/2 cup of the non-dairy milk and mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened, then form the dough into a ball. (You might need to add a sprinkle or two more of milk.)
6. Lightly flour a cutting board and flatten the dough out, forming a 3/4-inch thick circle.
7. Slice the dough into eight triangular pieces.
8. Arrange the scones on your baking sheet.
9. Brush the tops with the rest of the milk and sprinkle the scones with sugar.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
10. Bake for fifteen minutes or so, until the tops are golden brown.