Although Cinco de Mayo is far from an official holiday in Mexico, it's become a major deal in this country -- and the celebrations started early this year, with deals and parties all weekend. But they're not over yet: Here are cinco places to really mark Cinco de Mayo today. See also: Ask a Mexican on the truth about Cinco de Mayo...and Mexico
1) Lola's Picnic of the Pig 1575 Boulder Street Lola will be opening at high noon today for the sixth annual Picnic of the Pig, when you can get $2 Tecate and $3 Pacifico all day. Regular happy hour deals will be offered from noon to 4 p.m., the special pig menu -- created from a pig that's roasting out front even now -- will be offered from 4 p.m. to close, and live music starts at 6 p.m., with The Recovery Act & Lane, Meadows, Levy of the Congress. Find more info here.
2) Adelitas Cocina y Cantina 1294 South Broadway Brian Rossi's Mexican joint has been celebrating its first anniversary all week, but it's still ready to mark Cinco de Mayo with the usual two-for-one Monday margaritas, which won Best House Margarita in the Best of Denver 2014, as well as live mariachi music at 6 p.m. Get details here.
3) Cinco de Mayo at Tamayo 1400 Larimer Square The party continues at Tamayo, where happy hour will run from 2 to 7 p.m. in the lounge and bar areas. Patron will be giving away shots and/or margaritas with Patron Reposado and Anejo in those same spaces from 6 to 8 p.m. And anywhere in the place, guests can order $5 traditional margaritas or Tecate with a shot of house tequila for $5. And its sibling, La Biblioteca, will be celebrating with traditional margs for just $5. Get the details at richardsandoval.com or call 720-946-1433.
4) Los Chingones 2463 Larimer Street Los Chingones has been offering specials all weekend, and it's not about to stop now. Troy Guard's Mexican spot snagged the award for Best Specialty Nachos in the Best of Denver 2014 -- aren't you ready for some pig ear snacks right now? You could also ask the kitchen if any of those antelope tacos are left. There's sure to still be plenty of beer and margs -- and sunshine on that great rooftop deck. Doors open at 11:30 a.m.; find details here.
5) ViewHouse 2015 Market Street There will be more patio partying at Viewhouse, which has created a special cocktail for Cinco de Mayo. The Spicy Mamacita features Corona beer infused with the ViewHouse ghost pepper and cucumber vodka, tabasco sauce and fresh jalapeño, finished with a lime to cut that ghost pepper. Get yours for $5, and soak up some of that alcohol with such upscale bar menu items as asada fries (crisp shoestring potatoes, topped with housemade cheese fondue, pork green chile, sour cream, housemade pico de gallo, cojita cheese and carne asada) or a Southwest chicken egg roll.
Keep reading for a bonus recipe for Cinco de Mayo. You may not have time to drive to Colorado Springs today, but the Will Rogers Lounge at Cheyenne Mountain Resort & Country Club has served up its recipe for a special Cinco de Mayor recipe for the occasion:
Spicy 291 Whiskey-Rita 1.5 oz 291 White Dog Whiskey 0.5 oz 291 Decc 0.5 oz coconut water simple syrup 1 tsp chopped jalapeno 1.5 oz sweet-n-sour 0.25 oz fresh lime juice
Measure out all ingredients and incorporate into a shaker glass with ice. Shake thoroughly and pour into empty pint glass. Garnish with a jalapeno wheel and lime wedge.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
Find more information at cheyennemountain.com.