Cooking with Pete and Barb Marczyk: Broccoli and cashew salad
Pete Marczyk and Barbara Macfarlane do not leave their work behind when they leave Marczyk Fine Foods and head for their great old Denver house with the big, new kitchen. They often bring some of their market's choicest ingredients home with them and cook up a feast.
It's been a long time coming, but tomorrow, Pete and Barb will unlock the doors to a second Marczyk Fine Foods at 5100 East Colfax Avenue -- and you can bet that the shelves and cases will be brimming with delicious foodstuffs, including summer salads. Maria Olson is Marczyk's "salad queen," according to Barb, and her broccoli and cashew salad, pictured above, is an ideal outdoor barbecue sidekick. "This salad is a a winner, especially on a hot night, and it goes great with a plate of grilled fish," says Barb, who recommends pairing it with sake.
Broccoli Cashew salad Serves 6
2 crowns broccoli, stemmed and washed 2 red peppers, chopped into a fine julienne 1/2 medium-size red onion, chopped into a fine julienne 1 cup whole unsalted cashews 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup grapeseed oil 1 teaspoon garlic, minced Dash of crushed red pepper
1. Trim and wash broccoli, peel the stems and break the florets into small bunches. 2. Bring a pot of water to a boil, blanch the broccoli 5 minutes, remove to an ice bath, cool, and drain. 3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk soy sauce, oil, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. 4. Combine broccoli, peppers, onions and cashews with the dressing, and mix well. 5. Cool and serve cold.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Weekend Updates: New Hours for Old Major; Hot Dogs at Baur's
- Natural Grocers Macadamia Nut Mix Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination
- "Money Is Not the Goal": Left Hand Brewing Converts to Employee Ownership
- Rosa Mia Inn in Berkeley Neighborhood to Become Nip & Sip From Centennial/Jonesy's...