Cooking with Pete and Barb Marczyk: Creamy parsnips and pears
Pete Marczyk and Barbara Macfarlane do not leave their work behind when they leave Marczyk Fine Foods and head for their great old Denver house with the big, new kitchen. They often bring some of their market's choicest ingredients home with them and cook up a feast.
While this week's pear-and-parsnip recipe comes from Eating Well magazine, Barb says that it was Elaine Granata who convinced her to give it a try. "Granata is a farmer here in Denver, and when I say here in Denver, I mean right across the street from Marczyk's," says Barb, adding that Granata "has a few plots around town, where she grows everything from basil to raspberries for several grocers in town," including Marczyk's. The recipe, notes Barb, "really moves toward fall -- even if today really looks like winter." She recommends pairing the "slightly sweet and savory side dish" with roasted meats.
Creamy Parsnips and Pears
Prep time: 20 minutes Start to finish 50 minutes Serves 8
2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces 1 large pear (Bartlett or Anjou), peeled, cored and halved/quartered 4 cloves garlic, peeled 1tablespoon butter 2 teaspoons lemon juice ¼ teaspoon salt Freshly ground pepper
1. Place parsnips, pear and garlic in large saucepan ad cover with lightly salted water. Cover, bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until parsnips are tender and easily pierced with a knife, 20-25 min.
2. Drain and transfer to a food processer. Add butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper; process till completely smooth. Scrape into a serving bowl. (To keep hot, cover with waxed paper, foil, etc., and set bowl into a pan of barely simmering water.)
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Weekend Updates: New Hours for Old Major; Hot Dogs at Baur's
- Natural Grocers Macadamia Nut Mix Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination
- "Money Is Not the Goal": Left Hand Brewing Converts to Employee Ownership
- Rosa Mia Inn in Berkeley Neighborhood to Become Nip & Sip From Centennial/Jonesy's...