Cooking with Pete and Barb Marczyk: Zabaglione
Pete Marczyk and Barbara Macfarlane do not leave their work behind when they leave Marczyk Fine Foods and head for their great old Denver house with the big, new kitchen. They often bring some of their market's choicest ingredients home with them and cook up a feast.
Pinch pie, says Barb, is what her mother called a meringue. She served it, recalls Barb, with quartered strawberries and a zabaglione (zabaione, or sabayon in French) sauce, a combination of egg yolks, sugar and Madeira. "This is a lovely springtime sauce that can be made with other liquors, including wine, champagne, or even Amaretto, but I wouldn't mess with the classic," Barb warns, adding that the zabaglione is also a "great use of the egg yolks left over from the meringue."
1/4 teaspoon salt 4 egg whites, brought to room temperature 6 tablespoons sugar 1/2 teaspoon almond extract 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 container strawberries, rinsed and quartered
Using a dry and clean mixing bowl, add the salt to the egg whites and beat on low speed until stiff. Gradually fold in the sugar and add the almond and vanilla extracts.
1. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees. 2. Drop the meringue on a greased baking sheet covered with parchment paper. 3. Mash out with back of a spoon and make a hollow in the middle to hold the filling. 4. Bake for 1 hour, turn oven off and let cool in oven. 5. Fill with berries.
1/4 cup sugar 3 large egg yolks 1/4 cup Portuguese Madeira
1. In a metal bowl, whisk together sugar, yolks and Madeira until combined. 2. Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and heat mixture, whisking, until frothy and pale golden (each whisk stroke should leave a clean path) for about 3 minutes, or until eggs are safely cooked. (An instant-read thermometer should register 140°F.) 3. Pour over berries and meringue.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Get Civic-Minded at Soups and Dreams, Civic Center Eats Today
- The Farm House Restaurant Opens on the New Littleton Breckenridge Brewery Campus
- Ace Eat Serve to Host Second Annual Wings & Whiskey — And You Could Win Two Tickets
- Sullivan's, the Site of a Memorable Meal With Barry Fey, Is Closing This Weekend