Denver's five best restaurant fireplaces
Just in time for December -- and holiday cheer -- Denver is getting a blanket of snow, which means it's time to put on a sweater and boots and do all kinds of cozy things. Like cuddle up to a fireplace with a drink, a snack and possibly a person to whom you want to whisper all kinds of sweet nothings. Or, you know, just enjoy the warm glow yourself, beer in hand.
There are many places in town that boast an opportunity to warm up near the glow of flames, but some fireplaces are more special than others. Behold, Denver's five best restaurant fireplaces to lure you in from the cold:
5. The Kitchen [Upstairs] The [Upstairs] outpost of the Boulder-based Kitchen's expanding empire is best for cold nights, when the glass of the old bookstore windows frosts over and couples huddle over tables full of roasted chicken and garlic fries. The restaurant keeps a fire roaring in the fireplace all winter long, and while the heat and glow from the fixture permeates every corner of the room, it's ideal to nab one of the tables nearest to the flames.
4. Bull & Bush This man-cave-ish brewpub is perpetually dark, and while that's a little oppressive in the summer months, it's ideal for winter, when the atmosphere borders on cozy and you can score a table or a plush seat and take down a couple of beers paired with a little drinking food. Make it cozier still by grabbing the chairs near the fireplace in the back of the room, soaking up the glow and warmth as you get happier and happier with each drink.
Highland's Garden Cafe
3. Highland's Garden Cafe Tucked into in an old Victorian mansion, tables at Highland's Garden Cafe spill into several rooms of the house. Many of those rooms happen to be equipped with fireplaces, too, so while the restaurant is always intimate and quaint, it's particularly ideal in the winter, when a warm, glowing table can enhance a romantic dinner, dessert or glass of wine.
2. Colt & Gray You don't have to sit at the counter at Colt & Gray to enjoy the amenities of the bar's atmosphere; the vibe carries over to a number of high tables and, better yet, plush seats huddled around a fireplace in the center of the room. Those fireside seats feel secluded, too, so if you're out on a date, they're a wonderful spot to get a night started right with an aperitif...or to make a good evening last longer with a nightcap (or two). Since the fireplace also faces the dining room, grabbing a table next to it is a good dinner option, as well.
1. Barolo Grill Looking to really seal the deal on a romantic evening? There's likely no better spot in town than Barolo Grill, where the restaurant's charming fireplace provides the backdrop for one lucky two-top. Score that seat for a flirtatious night, and you'll be well poised to pull out all the stops over multiple courses and spendy bottles of wine under the glittering lights and warm glow of one of the most intimate tables in town.
Have another favorite? Tell us about it below.
More Best of Denver Lists: - Denver's five best restaurants for blind dates
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.