Five baseball-themed beers to drink on Rockies opening day
Ah, spring. The beginning of a new baseball season is always so full of hope, so full of life, so full of chances to turn over a new leaf. Perhaps you should start with your beer? If that's the case, here are five ways you can celebrate the season and the Colorado Rockies home opener, which starts today at 2:10 p.m., with a baseball-themed beer.
See also: - Blue Moon's Sandlot brewery at Coors Field will open on non-game days - Celebrate the Rockies and Walt Weiss by drinking a Walt Weiss at Denver Beer Co - Blue Moon brews a special beer to commemorate the Rockies 20th anniversary
5) Third Base Belgian Tripel Elevation Beer Company This beer from Elevation Beer Company in Poncha Springs was timed to hit at the start of the season: "With fresh cut grass, cool nights and sunny days, and the sound of a baseball smacking a glove, spring is the perfect time to hit the sweet lemon, pepper, and orange notes of a tripel," the brewery says. "Enjoy this delicious beer after tossing the ball around with your friends at your local baseball diamond, or while watching your favorite team on the tube." And you can try it at Ernie's Bar & Pizza, which will offer half off pints of Third Base any time the Rockies hit a triple today.
4) 20th Anniversary Ale Blue Moon Brewing Located inside Coors Field since 1995, the Blue Moon Brewing Company @ the Sandlot has always made beers with a baseball theme, whether Right Field Red, Pinch Hit Pilsner or Belly Slide Belgian Wit (which became Blue Moon itself). And although the Sandlot is undergoing renovations, it will be open on game days -- and in early May will open every day to the public. In the meantime, the brewery is operational and has made a beer dedicated to the twentieth anniversary of the Rockies. An easy-drinking amber style ale, 20th Anniversary Ale will be available today not only at the Sandlot, but around the stadium.
3) Walt Weiss Denver Beer Co Denver Beer Co will tap Walt Weiss (pronounced with a "v," German-style) at 10 a.m. today before the Rockies home opener against the San Diego Padres. The cleverly-named beer, a traditional weiss-style wheat with flavors of banana and clove, is named in honor, obviously, of Walt Weiss, the team's shortstop from 1994-97, who was named the new Rockies manager in November. Let's hope the beer brings him good luck.
Continue reading for more baseball-themed beers.
2) IPA2 Our Mutual Friend Malt & Brew Okay, this one isn't exactly baseball-themed, but it is spring-themed -- and Our Mutual Friend, located not far from the stadium in the Rino neighborhood, is opening at noon today (two hours early) in honor of the Rockies and to release this brand-new, 8 percent ABV beer. IPA2 is described as a "beautifully golden double IPA"; it will be available through the spring. OMF will be broadcasting the game starting at 2:05 p.m., and Wafflegänger will be out front.
1) Pop Fly Apple Pie Rye Dry Dock Brewing Head to Hops & Pie to take a swing at Pop Fly Apple Pie Rye from Aurora's Dry Dock Brewing. The beer was designed to celebrate baseball and the Rockies home opener; toe create it, Dry Dock cask master Walt Chleva put apples into a firkin with a spicy rye ale. It will be poured as part of Hops & Pie's 1st Firkin Friday.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Weekend Updates: New Hours for Old Major; Hot Dogs at Baur's
- Natural Grocers Macadamia Nut Mix Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination
- "Money Is Not the Goal": Left Hand Brewing Converts to Employee Ownership
- Rosa Mia Inn in Berkeley Neighborhood to Become Nip & Sip From Centennial/Jonesy's...