Homemade guacamole for a flavor-filled spread on Meatless Monday
You can't live in Colorado without having a good guacamole recipe. Naturally vegan, it's a fantastic accessory to just about any dish you want to serve -- from burgers to enchiladas. This version lets the avocado shine through, without a lot of additions to overpower one of nature's perfect foods.
You will need:
3 large, ripe avocados 1/2 a small onion 1 small jalapeno 1 clove garlic, peeled Lime juice (we used premade here; you can squeeze 1/2 lime for the same effect) Cilantro to taste (we used about 1/8 a cup of packed leaves) Salt to taste Cracked black pepper to taste
1. Dice the onion.
2. Cut the top of the jalapeno, cut it in half and de-seed it.
Put the onion, jalapeno, peeled garlic, lime juice and cilantro in a small food processor.
Process until finely chopped.
3. Cut the avocado in half and scoop out the insides.
Put the halves in a bowl.
Mash them up with a fork so you have chunky pieces of avocado left intact.
4. Add the chopped-up ingredients from the processor to the avocado and season to taste with salt and cracked black pepper.
Serve with chips or cut veggies as a dip, as a sauce or however you like -- but eat it quickly; it won't last long!
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Weekend Updates: New Hours for Old Major; Hot Dogs at Baur's
- Natural Grocers Macadamia Nut Mix Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination
- "Money Is Not the Goal": Left Hand Brewing Converts to Employee Ownership
- Rosa Mia Inn in Berkeley Neighborhood to Become Nip & Sip From Centennial/Jonesy's...