In the kitchen with Jack-n-Grill's Jack Martinez: Frito pie
Self-described green chile warrior Jack Martinez, the owner/chef of two Jack-n-Grill restaurants (a third outlet, in Westminster, will open in October), and the subject of this week's Chef and Tell interview, has a huge family that benefits from his cooking capabilities. One of their favorites dishes is Frito pie, a dish that's been on the menu at Jack-n-Grill from day one. It's an inexpensive dish to prepare, feeds a small crowd and it's vegetarian.
"Frito Pastel de Chile Verde"
(Green Chile Frito Pie)
2 cups Fritos
8 whole roasted and peeled green chiles, stems removed
1/4 pound shredded Longhorn cheddar cheese
1/4 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Grease a 10-inch pie pan.
2. Slit chiles lengthwise and shape the chiles in the pie pan to form a crust.
3. Using a hand mixer, blend eggs, cream, salt and pepper at low speed.
4. Layer Fritos, shredded cheeses and blended mixture in the pie pan.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until set.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.