In the kitchen with Jack-n-Grill's Jack Martinez: Frito pie
Self-described green chile warrior Jack Martinez, the owner/chef of two Jack-n-Grill restaurants (a third outlet, in Westminster, will open in October), and the subject of this week's Chef and Tell interview, has a huge family that benefits from his cooking capabilities. One of their favorites dishes is Frito pie, a dish that's been on the menu at Jack-n-Grill from day one. It's an inexpensive dish to prepare, feeds a small crowd and it's vegetarian.
"Frito Pastel de Chile Verde" (Green Chile Frito Pie) Serves: 4-6
2 cups Fritos 8 whole roasted and peeled green chiles, stems removed 1/4 pound shredded Longhorn cheddar cheese 1/4 pound shredded mozzarella cheese 5 eggs 2 tablespoons cream 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Grease a 10-inch pie pan. 2. Slit chiles lengthwise and shape the chiles in the pie pan to form a crust. 3. Using a hand mixer, blend eggs, cream, salt and pepper at low speed. 4. Layer Fritos, shredded cheeses and blended mixture in the pie pan. 5. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until set.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Weekend Updates: New Hours for Old Major; Hot Dogs at Baur's
- Natural Grocers Macadamia Nut Mix Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination
- "Money Is Not the Goal": Left Hand Brewing Converts to Employee Ownership
- Rosa Mia Inn in Berkeley Neighborhood to Become Nip & Sip From Centennial/Jonesy's...