Kale stem "confetti" for a super-quick side on Meatless Monday
Anytime you use kale -- or any other green, for that matter, from collard to mustard -- you're left with stems that most people throw away. But you can saute these, much like the leafy parts of the plant, with some very simple ingredients for a fiber-rich (and nutrient-laden) side dish that's super-easy and tasty. We adapted the Vegan Soul Kitchen version of "collard confetti" to make this kale confetti dish.
You will need:
1 tablespoon olive oil Stems from leafy greens (any will do; these are from our vegan creamed kale recipe) Salt 1 lemon Freshly ground black pepper
1. Chop the kale stems into bite-sized pieces (you can also slice them super-thin -- whatever works with your schedule).
2. Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a container.
3. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat and add the kale stems and salt when warm.
Saute for about five minutes, until stems are softened; then add the lemon juice and black pepper to taste.
Serve warm alongside whatever you're making for dinner!
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Small Is Big: A Second Helping of Westword Food & Drink, September 28 - October 2
- Get a Taste of Il Porcellino Tonight, Before It Opens in Late October in Berkeley
- Friday Night Bazaar Transforms to Night Bazaar Denver With New Location Starting Tonight
- Reader: Complaints About Quality of Barbecue Should Focus on Quality of Transplants