Thanksgiving is over, and maybe you had enough turkey and stuffing to last you until next November. Or maybe you haven't, and even worse, you got screwed out of the leftovers by your drunken uncle, who loaded everything into one of your mom's nice Tupperware pieces and took off -- just like he did last year, and the year before that.
If that's the case, then you need a Thanksgiving sandwich, that delightful combo that slaps the entire holiday dinner (or at least parts of it) between two pieces of bread and calls it heaven. In past years, not many Denver delis were making these treats (sometimes called Pilgrim sandwiches), but that has changed recently.
Here's a list of a few of the places that serve them up year round.
7)Colonial Turkey Marczyk Fine Foods Simple, straightforward and delicious. Roasted turkey breast, cranberry sauce, Belletoile Brie and lettuce on sourdough bread.
6) Pilgrim Backcountry Delicatessen Backcountry Provisions may have changed its name to Backcountry Delicatessen, but they they still know how to put you in the spirit with roasted turkey, muenster, seasoned stuffing, cranberry chutney, lettuce and mayo.
5) Turkey Cranberry Gouda Spinelli's Market This is more of a gourmet interpretation of a Thanksgiving sandwich (there is no stuffing), but the giant slabs of turkey, Gouda and cranberry sauce might make you forget about the stuffing.
4) P.J. Gobber Pat's Philly Steaks and Subs Chunks of turkey, rather than deli slices, a sweet cranberry sauce and delicious stuffing, served warm. Pat's has been doing it for a while, and they do it right.
3) Giving Thanks (that the family is not here) Sub Culture The name pretty much says it all. Get your turkey, cream cheese, cranberry and lettuce at Sub Culture, and you'll be happy that your drunken uncle stole the leftovers.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
2) Thank You Turkey Which Wich The sandwich is solid -- turkey, cranberry and cornbread stuffing, along with whatever extras you desire, all wrapped up in a delicious log -- and it has a funny name, too.
1) Gobblin' Gobbler Drew's Denver Deli This bad boy includes slow-roasted turkey, country stuffing, cranberry sauce, cheddar cheese, coleslaw and mayo. You'll be thankful that you tried this Pilgrim-worthy treat.