Pete's Satire Lounge celebrates its fiftieth anniversary tomorrow -- and you could win a gift card
All photos by Elyse Mitchell.
Update: Congrats to KDBryan! For your story, you've won a $20 gift card to Pete's restaurants.
Original post: Pete's Satire Restaurant & Lounge, 1920 East Colfax Avenue, turns fifty this weekend -- an impressive tenure, especially considering it's been under the same ownership that entire time. The six-restaurant, family-owned Pete's chain got its start at the Satire, where Mexican fare and stiff drinks have satiated patrons in need of refuge from the insanity of East Colfax.
To commemorate the anniversary, the Satire is serving up a free buffet from 1 p.m. to 2 a.m. tomorrow, and all day today artist Patrick McGregor has been autographing the building with a mural thanking the city of Denver for its half-century of support. Continue reading for more photos -- and instructions on how to win a $20 gift card to any Pete's restaurant.
"It's our 'thank you' to the city," explains Liz Contos, Pete's wife for more than fifty years. "It's difficult to survive in this business, and we feel very blessed. It can be hard on your family and your spouse, but we joke that Pete's restaurants are like his children. He cares a lot about them -- and the Satire Lounge will always be his baby."
And this baby's party is continuing for a month, with happy hour deals including $1.25 draft beer, $2.75 well drinks, $1.50 tacos, $4 nachos and burritos. Call the lounge at 303-322-2227 for more information.
For your chance to win a $20 gift card good at any Pete's location: 1. "Like" us on Facebook, which you can do right here.
2. Sign in to our commenting system, Livefyre, and leave a comment below telling us why you should win, along with a valid e-mail address, and share your favorite memory from any Pete's location. Then check back Monday morning to see if you've won.
In the meantime, continue reading for more photos of the new mural.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Weekend Updates: New Hours for Old Major; Hot Dogs at Baur's
- Natural Grocers Macadamia Nut Mix Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination
- "Money Is Not the Goal": Left Hand Brewing Converts to Employee Ownership
- Rosa Mia Inn in Berkeley Neighborhood to Become Nip & Sip From Centennial/Jonesy's...