Pizza is good for you, and five more shocking health finds
1. Bacon. A Bon Appetit list of surprising health foods cites bacon as number one. How can this be? Almost half of bacon's fat is monounsaturated, the so-called "good for you" fat, like that contained in olive oil.
2. Beer. We've already heard that drinking red wine is good for your heart, and now comes word that drinking beer every day can reportedly decrease your risk of heart disease and stroke. Cheers!
3. Cookies. There are at least two diet programs out there revolving all around the consumption of cookies. Don't worry: They're special, low-calorie, hunger-reducing cookies -- of course!
4. Egg McMuffins. McDonald's Egg McMuffin only contains 300 calories and twelve grams of fat. Healthy? Depends on your view. But by comparison, the chain's bacon, egg and cheese biscuit packs 420 calories and contains twenty-three grams of fat.
5. Raw meat. Tapeworm, E. coli and other potential gastrointestinal ailments aside, some actually promote the consumption of raw meat. Just like our ancestors, yo! And what about all that bacteria? That's the point!
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.