What do you take to a vegan potluck? What do you serve a vegan for an appetizer or snack? This spinach dip is a fabulous option, especially for soy-free or gluten-free sharing (use veggies to dip instead of crackers). And it takes just a few minutes to prepare.
See also: - Roasted potato salad with parsley pesto for a summertime side dish on Meatless Monday - Artichoke and green-olive tapenade for a snack on Meatless Monday - Roasted Brussels sprouts for a simple side dish on Meatless Monday
You will need:
1-2 tablespoons olive oil 2 jalapenos 1 yellow onion 1 1/2 cups coconut milk 1 lemon 1/4 cup nutritional yeast 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans 1 avocado 2 10-ounce packages frozen spinach
1. Microwave the spinach one package at a time according to the directions on the box.
2. Rinse the beans.
3. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out the juice.
4. Cut the tops off the jalapenos and cut them in half. (Optional: Scrape out the seeds and white insides -- you can leave both if you want some extra kick in the dip.)
Dice the jalapenos.
5. Peel and chop the onion.
6. Heat a skillet over medium heat.
Add the oil and heat for a minute or two.
Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, for eight minutes or so, until they are soft and browning.
7. While the onions are cooking, put the lemon juice, nutritional yeast flakes, beans and avocado in a large food processor.
Keep an eye on the onions and get ready to add some coconut milk when they're done.
8. Add the coconut milk.
Bring to a simmer and cook for two minutes or so.
9. When the peppers and onions are finished, add them to the food processor.
Blend until smooth.
10. If you nuked the spinach before starting anything else, it should be cool enough to squeeze out all the excess water. Place the spinach in a large bowl.
Add the processed mixture to the spinach.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Stir until thoroughly combined. Serve warm or refrigerate.