I've always had a sweet tooth, and was a baker long before I learned to cook — or drive, for that matter. So you might think that I like every dessert I meet, but the opposite is true. If I had a dollar for every dried-out layer cake, leaden pie crust and gratuitously sweet concoction I've eaten over the years, I'd be rich. But in honor of this week's review of Sugarmill, here's a baker's dozen of great spots for desserts (in alphabetical order by restaurant) were worth saving room for. See also: Review of Sugarmill, which could become a real sweet spot in Ballpark
13) bang! 3472 West 32nd Avenue bangdenver.com Go for the coconut cream pie.
12) Beast + Bottle 719 East 17th Avenue beastandbottle.com The chocolate dacquoise is delicious.
11) BRU handbuilt ales & eats 5290 Arapahoe Avenue, Boulder Bruboulder.com Try the housemade ice creams and sorbets, perhaps buttermilk tarragon, lemon thyme or ginger pineapple sorbet.
10) D Bar Desserts 494 East 19th Avenue (original location is closed, the new D Bar location reopened fall 2014) Dbardenver.com The cake and shake is worth waiting for.
9) Sugarmill 2461 Larimer Street www.sugarmilldesserts.com We like the Shades of Yellow, but love Shades of Red.
8) Il Posto 2011 East 17th Avenue ilpostodenver.com Bombolini, aka mini yeast doughnuts, are the bomb.
Keep reading for more of metro Denver's best desserts.
7) Lower48 Kitchen 2020 Lawrence Street, Unit A, lower48kitchen.com Don't miss citrus & meringues.
6) Old Major 3316 Tejon Street oldmajordenver.com The maple bacon crème caramel will have you in hog heaven.
5) Pizzeria Locale 550 Broadway, Unit C pizzerialocale.com The Budino, a butterscotch pudding, is a delectable bargain at under two bucks.
4) The Plimoth 2335 East 28th Avenue theplimoth.com The pear tarte Bourdaloue could become a landmark.
3) Potager 1109 Ogden Street Potagerrestaurant.com Chocolate pudding is the dish to desire.
2) Spuntino 2639 West 32nd Avenue Spuntinodenver.com We crave everything here, especially the gelato, orange olive oil cake and chocolate tart.
1) True Food Kitchen 2800 East Second Avenue, Suite 101 truefoodkitchen.com Go for the vegan chocolate pudding, replaced seasonally by banana-coconut chia seed pudding (also vegan).