The five best vegetarian/vegan dishes in Denver
Denver's a great town for vegetarians and vegans, as the Best of Denver 2013 attests. In that issue, you'll find accolades for Best Vegetarian Green Chile and Best Vegan Market, as well as many more green categories. But if you're looking for the best plant-based dishes in the city, look no further than the list below: the five best vegetarian/vegan dishes in Denver.
See also: - Tarasco's New Latin Cuisine is hot for veggies, too - Biker Jim's vegan dog a meat-free alternative to his elk/duck/rattlesnake options - The vegan pizza at the Marquis Theater is a show-stopper
5) Pho at Pho 95 This pho is made with vegetable broth, so vegetarians and vegans don't have to worry that the flavor in their Vietnamese noodle bowl starts with beef. Everything about the pho here is perfect, from that savory broth to the fried triangles of tofu to the yards of thin rice noodles floating in the soup.
4) Vegetarian Platter #2 at Damascus Grill Denver has a lot of great Mediterranean food, but Damascus Grill stands above the rest for a couple of reasons. The first is the authentic recipes, the second is the fresh ingredients used in those recipes, and the third is the portion sizes. If you're used to polishing off a combination platter in one sitting, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount of food that arrives on your plate at Damascus -- especially if you order the second veggie combo, with hummus, dolmades, falafel, fatoush salad, baba ghanouj and mujadara (a lentil-and-cracked-wheat mixture), as well as a mound of saffron rice.
3) Vegan pizza at the Marquis The vegan pizza at the Marquis is a winner even if you're not a vegan (or even vegetarian) -- and worth seeking out even if you're not on your way to a show at the Marquis. That thin, crispy crust topped with fresh veggies and Denver Seitan Company wheat meat is a showstopper all on its own. Continue reading for our top choices.
2) Vegan dog at Biker Jim's You wouldn't think thatt Biker Jim's is particularly vegetarian-friendly by just looking at most of the eatery's menu -- which includes duck, elk and rattlesnake dogs. But look again: Jim's also offers two vegan dogs -- we prefer the spicy version -- as well as plenty of sides that are vegetarian- and vegan-friendly. We call that a win!
1) Bean soup at Tarasco's The traditional Michoacan bean soup at Tarasco's won the Best Vegetarian Dish in a Non-Vegetarian Restaurant award this year -- and if you ask for it without the queso or crema, it's vegan-friendly, too. Reasonably priced and amazingly delicious, this soup is the perfect complement to Tarasco's extensive vegetarian menu -- or a great meal on its own.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.