There's a battle brewing at Govnr's Park; may the best beer win!
Revelry from last year's party.
There's a battle brewing at Govnr's Park.
On Saturday, from 5 to 8 p.m., the ageless watering hole will host its second annual Spring Meltdown Beerfest, pitting 35 breweries against each other. They'll be fighting for the love of Gov's patrons, and the winner gets a draft handle for an entire year.
"It's like a mini-Great American Beer Festival," says manager Jonathan Fry.
Last year's winner was Montana's Big Sky Brewing, which put its signature Moose Drool on tap at Gov's for all of 2010.
For $20 at the door ($15 in advance), beer lovers will get a sampling cup and three hours to try as much or as many of the 35 beers as they can. Most of the table and chairs will be moved so that beer booths can be set up throughout the restaurant.
At the end of the night, drinkers cast votes for the favorite beer; the winner gets the tap and a championship belt. (The contenders are listed on the next page.)
Gov's will also be selling raffle tickets for the chance to win numerous prizes, including a cruiser bike. Proceeds go to Casting 4 A Cure and The International Rett Syndrome Foundation. "We got about thirteen or fourteen more breweries this year," Fry says. "It's really going to be a great event, and it's for a really good cause."
1. BIG SKY 2. BOULDER BEER 3. SAM ADAMS 4. HEINEKEN 5. SIERRA NEVADA 6. BLUE MOON 7. TWISTED PINE 8. OSKAR BLUES 9. FULL SAIL 10. GREAT DIVIDE 11. DEL NORTE 12. BRISTOL 13. WARSTEINER 14. MODELO 15. DESCHUTES 16. AC GOLDEN 17. BRECKENRIDGE 18. LEFT HAND 19. ODELL 20. NEW BELGIUM 21. WOODCHUCK 22. GAMBRINUS 23. BOULEVARD 24. ALASKAN 25. FLYING DOG 26. LANDSHARK 27. SKA 28. STONE 29. GRAND TETON 30. UNITA 31. WIDMEIR 32. McSORLEY'S 33. TOMMY KNOCKER 34. AVERY 35. ANDERSON VALLEY
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Weekend Updates: New Hours for Old Major; Hot Dogs at Baur's
- Natural Grocers Macadamia Nut Mix Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination
- "Money Is Not the Goal": Left Hand Brewing Converts to Employee Ownership
- Rosa Mia Inn in Berkeley Neighborhood to Become Nip & Sip From Centennial/Jonesy's...