Tom Colicchio's Simpsons cameo reminds us of these great food scenes
Recent reports provide illustrated proof that Top Chef judge Tom Colicchio will make an appearance on the premiere episode of the 23rd season of The Simpsons. Apparently, Marge wants to be a Top Chef contestant. (Oh, Marge, so adorable!)
Which got us thinking about all the memorable scenes involving food over the show's large run -- thanks largely to Homer's absurd appetite. Here are our ten favorites.
10. "Power Sauce Bars" Tangentially related to food, Homer eats Power Sauce bars (which we later find out are made from "apple cores and old Chinese newspapers"). From the May 3, 1998, episode, "King of the Hill."
9. "Abe and Jasper High on a Bench" From the November 15, 1998, episode, "D'oh-in in the Wind," Abe Simpson and fellow very old person Jasper Beard drink juice spiked with the "personal vegetables" of Seth and Munchie, friends of Homer's. Of course, Westword's pot critic suggested this clip.
8. "You came and you found me a turkey" "The Last Temptation of Homer," which originally aired in December 1993, includes special guest Michelle Pfeiffer -- but the sing-songy joke involving a turkey comes at 2:07 into the clip. You know the one.
7. "64 slices of American cheese" From the "Rosebud" episode, which first aired on October 21, 1993.
6. The Merciless Peppers of Quetzlzacatenango "That Simpson, he thinks he's the Pope of Chili Town!" In this classic clip from the January 1997 episode "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer)," Homer eats the "Merciless Peppers of Quetzlzacatenango" and, later, Johnny Cash is the voice of a coyote that gives Homer advice during his hallucinogenic trip/spiritual journey.
5. "Doughnut Hell" From the "Treehouse of Horror IV" episode, which first aired on October 28, 1993. Flanders as the Devil, Bart's apparent established relationship with the Devil, and, yes, the phrase, "Mmm, forbidden doughnut."
4. "All right, pie. I'm going to start doing this..." From "Lisa on Ice," which first aired in 1994. If you can find a video of this clip, please drop it in the comments. A detailed dissection of this joke is available here.
3. "A wonderful, maaagical animal" From the October 15, 1995, episode, "Lisa the Vegetarian." Homer's right here: Pigs are magical and wonderful animals.
2. "You don't win friends with salad." Also from the "Lisa the Vegetarian" episode.
1. The Land of Chocolate You knew this clip was going to be near the top of the list: First airing in December 1991 (the third season for the show), this absurd little ditty has Homer prancing through a village made of chocolate (presumably in Germany somewhere), daydreaming for a good ten minutes in front of his new German bosses.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.