Top ten places to Mex it up on Cinco de Mayo
Benny's patio is a popular hot spot.
A sunny Cinco de Mayo -- what are you still doing inside on a computer?
Below are ten places, listed in no particular order, where you can celebrate Cinco de Mayo and enjoy the weather. (And if you know of other good celebrations, please share them in the comments below.)
1) Cilantro Fusion, 1531 Stout Street, Denver. Cilantro is celebrating its first 5 de Mayo fiesta with $1.99 margaritas, as well as other specials, all day. Mariachis will be serenading the lunch crowd, and there will be a salsa dancing lesson at 7 p.m. (Fair warning: no patio, but an indoor courtyard.)
2) Modmarket, 1600 28th Street, Boulder. This little spot in Boulder just upgraded its patio, where it's offering $1 mini-Coronas today when you buy a full-size pizza (minimum four beers per pie).
3) Tambien, 250 Steele Street, Denver. Food and drink specials during happy hour from 4 to 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. to midnight include $2 snacks (and $1 tacos during the late-night edition), $2 PBRs; $3 Sol/Tecate/Dos XX /well drinks, and $5 margs. There's also a Latin DJ; great Day of the Dead decor inside -- and a patio. Cinco or swim!
4) Rio Grande, 1512 Blake Street, Denver. This homegrown chain with its killer margs has links all along the Front Range, but the LoDo location promises to be party central today.
5) Mezcal, 3230 East Colfax Avenue, Denver. Mezcal has been celebrating Cinco de Mayo all week with $5 30/30 margs and other specials, and the party will continue through May 9. The Sol de Mi Tierra mariachi band will perform on Friday -- but people-watching on Colfax is always entertaining.
6) Aztec Sol, 2223 West 32nd Avenue, Denver. There's nothing fancy about Aztec Sol, a place with a cement floor that might have been transported from Juarez -- except for the incredible lineup of tequilas. Sample a few while you enjoy the passing parade on 32nd.
7) Benny's Resaurante Y Tequila Bar, 301 East Seventh Avenue, Denver. With two patios and great deals on margs, every day is a party at Benny's.
8)Tamayo, 1400 Larimer Street. Location, location, location. From this corner of Larimer Square, Tamayo's rooftop deck has one of the best views in town. And from 5 to 10 p.m. today, it also has special deals on its regular drink and food offerings, as well as Cinco de Mayo creations by chef/owner Richard Sandoval.
9) La Sandia, 8419 Park Meadows Center Drive, Littleton. La Sandia in Park Meadows and its sibling in Northfield will both be celebrating Cinco de Mayo today -- but the southern location's deck has a view of the mountains that should be absolutely stunning at sunset.
10) Lola, 1575 Boulder Street, Denver. Lola's deck already qualifies as one of Denver's best beaches, and tonight it will also be the site of the Picnic of the Pig. This roast to spring isn't cheap -- $65 per head -- but it promises to be choice.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Weekend Updates: New Hours for Old Major; Hot Dogs at Baur's
- Natural Grocers Macadamia Nut Mix Recalled for Possible Salmonella Contamination
- "Money Is Not the Goal": Left Hand Brewing Converts to Employee Ownership
- Rosa Mia Inn in Berkeley Neighborhood to Become Nip & Sip From Centennial/Jonesy's...