Vegan banana walnut muffins for breakfast on Meatless Monday
No one's saying you have to go meatless just because it's Monday -- but here's some incentive to join the growing movement.
We're now featuring an animal-free recipe each week. For our opening act, we decided to tackle vegan baking. It's surprisingly easy: These muffins are moist and fluffy, and they make a portable and delicious breakfast or snack.
You will need:
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup sugar 1/3 cup oil 4 ripe bananas, mashed 1/4 cup water 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup walnut pieces
Makes 12 muffins.
Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and grease your muffin tins.
1. Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt until blended.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and the oil.
4. Mash the banana with a fork.
6. Add the flour mixture and the walnuts and stir together.
The batter's ready!
7. Spoon the batter into your muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes; the muffins should be golden-brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
You can sweeten these up by replacing the walnuts with a cup of non-dairy chocolate chips and doubling the sugar.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Denver dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.