Vegan banana walnut muffins for breakfast on Meatless Monday
No one's saying you have to go meatless just because it's Monday -- but here's some incentive to join the growing movement.
We're now featuring an animal-free recipe each week. For our opening act, we decided to tackle vegan baking. It's surprisingly easy: These muffins are moist and fluffy, and they make a portable and delicious breakfast or snack.
You will need:
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup walnut pieces
Makes 12 muffins.
Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and grease your muffin tins.
1. Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt until blended.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and the oil.
3. Peel the bananas and place them in a third bowl. (Last one, we promise.)
4. Mash the banana with a fork.
5. Add the mashed banana to the sugar/oil combination and mix together. Stir in the water and vanilla extract.
6. Add the flour mixture and the walnuts and stir together.
The batter's ready!
7. Spoon the batter into your muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes; the muffins should be golden-brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
You can sweeten these up by replacing the walnuts with a cup of non-dairy chocolate chips and doubling the sugar.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.