Vegan vanilla cupcakes with strawberry icing for a springtime treat on Meatless Monday
Springtime is fleeing fast, so before it gets too hot to even think about turning on the oven, whip up some of these fluffy, sweet vanilla cupcakes, and top them off with strawberry frosting.
You will need:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut milk
1/2 cup safflower oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 cup vegan butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons strawberry jelly
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper cups.
1. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; whisk together until thoroughly combined.
2. In a smaller bowl, put one cup of the coconut milk, the safflower oil, the vanilla extract and the vinegar.
Mix until thoroughly blended.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined (don't overmix).
Spoon the batter into the muffin tin. Bake for 18 minutes or until done. And while the cupcakes are baking, make the icing. (Note: If you don't like a lot of icing, cut the powdered sugar, vegan butter, extra milk and strawberry jam amounts in half.)
4. In a small bowl, cream the butter with a blender until smooth.
5. Add the powdered sugar a half-cup at a time. Keep adding the sugar and blending.
It doesn't matter if it looks a little lumpy; you can beat it smooth.
6. Add the remaining two tablespoons of coconut milk and blend.
7. Add the strawberry jam and blend.
Your cupcakes should be finished baking by now.
8. Let them cool on a cookie sheet before you try to ice them.
When they're cool enough, spread the icing on with a spatula.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.