It's now post-holiday time, which means one thing in retail: gift cards. If your family decided to not bother getting to know you and instead gave you a card filled with imaginary cash to spend at your favorite store, that means you might be looking for some ideas on how to spend it. Don't worry: We've got you covered this week, with selections ranging from a bad movie to book of strange facts.
5. Resident Evil: Afterlife (DVD, Blu-Ray) Resident Evil: Afterlife was not a good film by any stretch of the word, but it was enjoyable in a "shut your brain off and watch babes kick ass," kind of way. If that's the type of movie you'd like to bring home and watch over and over again, today's your lucky day, because you can snag it on DVD or Blu-Ray. Bonus: If you got yourself one of those fancy zillion-dollar 3D TVs for Christmas, you can watch Milla Jovovich run around your whole house half naked while shooting infected monsters in the face.
4. Madman Atomica HC by Michael Allred Holy smokes this is a big one. Hugenormous. Massive. It's a collection of over-sized Madman comics, from the Atomic Comics series The Atomics, as well as a few one-shots, The King Sized Super Groovy Special, It Girl and Mr. Gum. You'll need a big ass coffee table to keep this sucker propped up, but you'll get some great tales from one of indie comics' most famous artists. It's one of the strangest superhero comics out there, the hero being an amnesiac, Frankenstein-esque being who wanders around occasionally saving the world, occasionally going on camping trips and once even switching bodies and powers with Superman.
3. Ideas in Food: Great Recipes and Why they Work by Aki Kamozawa and H. Alexander Talbot We get something like 90 billion cook books a year, but all those do is tell you how to make a bunch of crap you'll probably just screw up anyway. Ideas in Food takes a different approach, by utilizing real science to build on their recipes. Inside you'll find tips about retaining texture in vegetables, folding dough the right way and how to stop messing up scrambled eggs. If you're really into experimenting in the kitchen, you'll also find out how to use liquid nitrogen to make popcorn gelato.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
2. Archer: Season 1 The great thing about this crazy futuristic world we're living in these days is the fact that great TV shows are no longer restricted to people with cable. The first season of Archer made its run on FX, but now all you cheapskates can watch it anytime you damn well please. The premise is pretty simple: an Adult Swim-style animated show for adults about a spy who seems to find more sexual tension than he does bad guys. It's raunchy, ridiculous and surprisingly funny.
1. You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News by Cracked.com We're not going to lie and say we don't get absurd enjoyment from these "wacky-facts" books. They're simple and ridiculous but always entertaining. Now, if you factor in the writers for Cracked.com and toss in a liberal amount of truth and fiction, you'll end up with one of the most funny and strange books on the shelf. Well, funny if you enjoy childish humor being mixed with history, anyway.