As if 2016 wasn't twisted enough, the Coen brothers made a mediocre movie and Blake Lively pleasantly surprised our critics, who reviewed other duds (cough, Tarzan, cough) and hits — mostly of the TV-show variety — this year.
Check out our most popular reviews of 2016, which are listed in chronological order.
1. 13 Hours Trades Truth for Explosions — But It's Not Truly Political
2. The Coens' Hollywood Farce, Hail, Caesar!, Flames Out
3. Pubes, Poops, Periods: How Broad City Takes Body Humor (and Feminism) to the Next Level
4. Pixar Dives Under the Sea Again — and Into Memory Itself
5. Blake Lively and The Shallows Are Well Worth the Dive
Keep reading for more of our most-read reviews of the year.
6. Me Tarzan. Me Sorry About Colonialism.
7. Stranger Things Is the Best-Ever Miniseries Adaptation of a Horror Novel (Even if That Novel Doesn’t Exist)
8. The Low-Heeled High Stakes of RuPaul’s All Stars 2
9. Netflix Kills the YouTube Star in Haters Back Off!, a Comedy About the Joys of Hatin'
10. What's Most Dissatisfying About Gilmore Girls' Return Is Also What's Most True
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.