Were you at a First Friday celebration last night? If so, you might have spotted one of the types featured in our Ten Kinds of People You Might See at First Friday. But "you missed a ton," says Matt Morava, who supplied his own list:
1. The beleaguered waitstaff at El Noa Noa.
2. The "stank pack" that hangs outside the most popular gallery on Santa Fe and reminds everyone that Colorado is legal by blowing huge clouds of smoke at everyone passing by.
3. The Capoeiras — Is it a dance? Is it a martial art? Is it neither?
4. The food truckies — keep truckin'.
5. The young student artist who suddenly feels better about his/her chances in the art world.
6. The First Date... seemed like a good idea at the time, but how many galleries left?
7. The vultures... picking up good art at what they know are cheap prices.
8. Cute lesbian couples having fun.
9. Cute gay couples having fun.
10. Miserable single straight dudes looking at anyone but art.
11. New to Colorado and not sure what to make of it... is this cool? Better check with the locals. (Answer — it was ten years ago... same with everything in Denver.)
12. Flat Bush Cholos — cruising the strip.
13. And then there's me... wishing for fuck sake I could at least draw a stick figure.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.