May showers bring spring flowers, and that means a bouquet of fashion events to brighten your days. For animal lovers, there's the annual Handbags to Hounds fashion show; for the fashion faithful, the La Rue Fashion Showcase. Here are seven of the top fashion events in Denver set for May.
7) Women With Hattitude 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Thursday, May 1 Seawell Grand Ballroom, 1101 13th St. More than 500 guests will enjoy lunch, remarks by a female playwright and entertainment from a DCPA show. New this year is the Hattitude Marketplace, featuring local vendors, before and after the luncheon. Tickets are $50 per person; $100 Top Hat tickets include an additional donation to the Women's Voice Fund. For reservations, call 303-446-4815 or visit denvercenter.org/hattitude. 6) Timbuk2 Grand Opening 2-8 p.m., Saturday, May 3 1411 Larimer Street
The San Francisco-based bag company will open its third retail store in the company's history. In addition to the store's stylish bags and an interactive custom-design station, the grand opening event will include beer from the Great Divide, a photo booth and $5 Miir stainless-steel print glasses with sales benefitting Bike Denver.
5) Denver Derby Party 1-6:30 p.m., Saturday, May 3 Sculpture Park, Denver Performing Arts Complex
One of the most highly anticipated spring events, the Denver Derby is not only a fundraiser for the Sean "Ranch" Lough Memorial Scholarship, but the place to be seen in derby fashion. General admission is $130 and Jockey Club $290; all proceeds benefit the scholarship fund. For tickets, go to Denverderby.com.
4) Dress Your Best -- Fashion Show 7 p.m., Sunday, May 4 NORAD, 821 22nd St.
The Dress Your Best mission is to create start-up capital for a chosen artist to get to work. Men's clothing designer Shandearan will be the recipient of the proceeds from this inaugural evening's events. There will be a silent auction, fashion show featuring Shanderan's debut line, food and DJs. Pre-sale tickets are $30, tickets at the door $40. For tickets, go to EventBee.com. Keep reading for three more top fashion events in May.
3) Another Chance Fashion Show 6 p.m., Wednesday, May 14 Our Savior's Lutheran Church, 915 East Ninth Avenue
Another Chance Fashion Show is a fundraiser for Mission Wear, a non-profit sewing business that hires women with obstacles to employment, who create reusable products. The fashion show will focus on re-purposed material and clothes from Mission Wear and sponsor Birds and Belles Boutique, a buy-sell-trade boutique in Denver. There will be a silent auction, a contest for the best design, food by Noodles & Co and beer from Strange Brewing Company. The show is free!
2) Handbags and Hounds 6 p.m. Friday, May 16 Kuni Lexis, 5150 South Quebec St.
The annual fundraiser for Freedom Service Dogs, Handbags and Hounds will feature free cocktails, a mani/pedi station, shopping for handbags and accessories, and a drag show by the Demented Divas. Tickets are $40, and all proceeds go to Freedom Service Dogs. For more info, go to Freedomservicedogs.org.
1) La Rue Fashion Showcase 6-10 p.m. Saturday, May 24 BEACONS Creative Community Space Cherry Creek, 2630 East Third Avenue
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
The La Rue Fashion Showcase will present individual designers who use non-traditional fabrics, including African print, in their collection. In addition to the fashions, there will be music and food. Tickets at the door are $25 for those over eighteen, $15 for those sixteen to eighteen. For more information, call 303-751-0863.