Which came first, the chicken or the waffle? There may be a lot of disagreement about how this dish came about, but almost everyone agrees that this unusual combination of sweet and savory is delicious, which is why it's a staple of Southern cuisine. But you don't need to travel to the South to get your fix, because restaurants across Denver serve up great plates of chicken and waffles. Here are the ten best (in no particular order):
10) Vegan Van Keep your eyes out for the Vegan Van, which can be spotted cruising around Denver serving up vegan cuisine -- including a plant-based, cruelty-free version of chicken and waffles that chef Amie Arias dubs "Ludacris." The Denver Seitan Company's wheat meat, Chickenesque, has a starring role, but it's the dose of Great Divide Brewing Company's Double IPA in the waffle and the shot of agave syrup on top that really sweeten the deal.
9) Tangerine, 2777 Iris Avenue, Boulder Head to Boulder for a modern twist on chicken and waffles at Tangerine, where you can enjoy brunch any day of the week. This version starts with a traditional Belgian waffle, topped with a pan-fried chicken breast scaloppine; it's served with cashew cream and pure maple syrup for a juicy, crunchy treat.
8) D Bar, 1475 East 17th Avenue If you haven't been to D Bar, you might be surprised to learn that it serves much more than dessert. And on the dinner menu, you'll find a variation of chicken and waffles called the "southernfried Belgian." This dish comes sandwich-style: a fried chicken breast stuffed between a cheesy waffle with tangy honey mustard and sweet potato fries. D-licious.
7) Second Home, 150 Clayton Lane For another innovative version of chicken and waffles, grab a seat at Second Home. Made-to-order fried chicken comes with a cheddar-cornbread waffle; sausage gravy and Stranahan's maple syrup finish the dish. Second Home is also home to the Sunday Pajama Brunch, where all kids eight and under who wear their pajamas can eat free from the kids' brunch menu.
6) The Corner Office, 1401 Curtis Street The Corner Office is Second Home's downtown sibling, and it offers its excellent version of chicken and waffles, a '"Funkytown Favorite," every Sunday during the popular Disco Brunch.
5) Steuben's, 523 East 17th Avenue You won't go home hungry after eating at Steuben's, which serves up up generous portions of comfort food with contemporary flair. The kitchen here has its own twist on chicken and waffles, served with gravy and homemade syrup. If you miss the weekend brunch, Steuben's chicken and waffles is also the Sunday night special. Waffles for dinner? Yes, please!
4) Lola, 1575 Boulder Street The weekend brunch menu at Lola features a popular variation on chicken and waffles. This dish pairs a buttermilk-brined fried chicken breast and waffles with chorizo gravy and a sweet cherry syrup.
3) Euclid Hall, 1317 14th Street Euclid Hall has built its reputation on high-quality pub food, including an innovative chicken and waffles dish. Euclid's version includes crispy chicken and confit nuggets, a sourdough waffle, and black pepper béchamel served with maple gastrique. The presentation is beautiful, the taste just as amazing.
2) Sloan's Bar & Grill, 5850 West 25th Avenue. For a friendly, neighborhood bar scene, check out Sloan's Bar & Grill -- particularly during brunch on the weekends. Along with breakfast burritos and cinnamon roll waffles, Sloan's also offers a very hardy, traditional take on chicken and waffles.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1) Cora Faye's Cafe, 2861 Colorado Boulevard Last but definitely not least, Cora Faye's Café serves up incredible sol food and Southern home cooking in a cozy, comfortable spot. The signature chicken 'n waffles is made with allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg, for a perfect blend of crispy, salty and sweet that's impossible to beat