Word of Mouth

Flash fire at Rock Bottom shuts down two blocks of downtown

Talk about a freak accident: This morning at Rock Bottom Brewery on the 16th Street Mall, a flash fire broke out, which shut down two blocks of Curtis Street. The cause? A dropped keg.

Last night, employees mopped up some chlorine dioxide after it spilled on the floor. This morning, another employee dropped a keg in the same vicinity, which caused a spark that ignited the residue from the chemical spill and created a flash fire.

Luckily, no one was injured, but the incident brought in the fire department and the hazmat team to deal with the fallout, shutting down Curtis Street between 15th and 17th streets. The fire is out, but cleanup is still under way.

An employee at the restaurant says it's still to be determined whether Rock Bottom will open for business today, adding that the restaurant is making no comment until after the cleanup is finished.