Katsina Roybal (No. 13): Victim in East 36th Avenue shooting convicted in Holly Square fire

Earlier today, we told you about a murder on East 36th Avenue. The Denver coroner has now identified the woman who died in the shooting as Katsina Roybal, 21.

This isn't the first time Roybal's name has been in the news. She was indicted and convicted in relation to the fire that destroyed the Holly Square Shopping Center in May 2008.

Here's a Denver District Attorney's press release from December 2008 about Roybal's indictment:


A Denver Grand Jury has handed down an indictment charging 9 people in connection with an arson fire last May that destroyed the Holly Square Shopping Center at 34th and Holly in Denver.

Antwan McCoy (dob: 05-21-88), DeAngelo Calaway (dob: 01-29-89), Katsina Roybal (dob: 01-17-89), Mario Jennings (dob: 08-04-89), Mitchell Walker (dob: 01-02-90), Corsia Crosby (dob: 09-24-88), Jimmy Hopkins (dob: 06-06-86), David Tinsley (dob: 09-10-86), and Marquise Jones (dob: 08-13-86) are charged with use of explosives or incendiary devices (F2), criminal mischief (F3), first-degree arson (F3), conspiracy to commit first-degree arson (F4), possession of incendiary parts (F4) and an additional count of crime of violence (SE).

The indictment alleges that a number of the defendants were involved in an altercation at a Denver nightclub on May 17, 2008 and that later in the early morning hours of May 18, 2008 all 9 defendants conspired to burn down the Holly Square Shopping Center. The indictment further alleges they used glass bottles filled with gasoline and rags to set the fire.

The indictment, which was handed down on Wednesday, was unsealed yesterday after 8 of the 9 defendants were taken into custody. One defendant, Mitchell Walker, remains at large and is being sought by investigators.

The other defendants are all in custody in Denver; bond is set at $100,000 for each of them. Court dates are pending.

Reached moments ago, DA's office spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough details the specific charges against Roybal, as well as the outcome of the case.

"She was charged with the use of an explosive or incendiary device, criminal mischief and first-degree arson, plus possession of an explosive or incendiary device and a second count of first-degree arson," Kimbrough says. "She pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree arson and possession of an explosive or incendiary device. There was a stipulated sentence to that guilty plea: eight years of probation, 125 hours of useful public service and restitution ordered in the amount of $1,986,686.38, joined with her co-defendants."

Roybal pleaded guilty in the case on August 14, 2009 and was sentenced on October 30, 2009 -- a little more than eight months before violence took her life last night.

Read our previous coverage here: "Woman shot dead after possible ambush on East 36th Avenue (No. 13)."