Update: Candice Lampley Admits to Role in 23-Month-Old Son's Death

Update: Since July 2015, we've been reporting about the death of 23-month-old Jayvion Johnson, as well as the arrest of his mother, Candice Lampley, and her boyfriend, Delonta Crank, in the incident; our previous coverage has been incorporated into this post.

An autopsy subsequently revealed that Jayvion had burns over 15 percent of his body. There was also evidence of wounds and scrapes on his head, face, arms and legs, as well as hemorrhages of the liver and inside his mouth, with the latter possibly leading to choking that may have contributed to his death.

Now, Lampley has admitted to culpability in the case as part of a plea deal. In contrast, Crank has pleaded not guilty.

Reports maintain that six previous filings about possible mistreatment of Jayvion were submitted prior to his passing, but Denver Human Services personnel didn't visit the family until it was too late.

As we've noted, Jayvion is portrayed by family and friends as an adorable, friendly and lovable child.

But the boy died on July 8, 2015, at St. Joseph's Hospital — and at the time, his grandfather, Earl Lampley, said he'd seen photos showing the boy with severe burns on the lower part of his body.

The toddler was a willing camera subject judging by the number of family photos that surfaced after his passing. Here's one example....

...and another.... this shot from Lampley's Facebook page:

Candice, the mother of three other children, was at work around 8:30 a.m. on the 8th when her boyfriend, Crank, and brother took Jayvion to St. Joe's.

The boy was pronounced dead at the facility, and Earl Lampley said he had "serious burns on his legs, in between his thighs, on his genitals and bottom," CBS4 pointed out.

As for the men who transported the boy to the hospital, they didn't stick around.

Shortly thereafter, the Denver Police Department tweeted about the 2003 Nissan the pair had been driving — and the car was found a short time later. The DPD also tweeted that Candice's other kids were safe and in the care of child protective custody.

From the beginning, interest in the case was high, prompting the police department to hold a press conference near the 1705 Franklin Street home where the family lived.

By July 9, both Lampley and Crank were in custody.

Crank is known on Facebook as "Delonta O'tay Crank;" the page remains online at this writing. His photo gallery includes numerous photos of children, plus portraits like this one....

...and this one:

As for Lampley, her Facebook gallery includes photos of her children, as well as numerous portraits. Here's one example of the latter:

Last September, after news broke about the six previous Denver Human Services reports about Jayvion (the most recent occurred in 2013, when the child tested positive for THC, the active ingredient in marijuana), Denver mayor Michael Hancock held a press conference about the situation, announcing that he had been "shaken to my core" by the information he'd learned about the case.

Hancock ordered "the formation of a team to rapidly plan ways to redouble efforts to protect at-risk children and families."

Just shy of a year later, Candice has pleaded guilty to child abuse resulting in death. In exchange, the Denver District Attorney's Office notes that charges of first-degree murder and child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury have been dropped.

The situation is different for Crank. He continues to face accusations of first-degree murder, child abuse resulting in death and child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury. He's pleaded not guilty and is due in court next month for a status hearing.

Look below to see booking photos of Candice Lampley and Delonta Crank.