Food News

Kitchen Fire Closes Wok Uptown, Family Hopes to Reopen

The windows are boarded up at 1789 Ogden Street, and a cleanup crew was removing furnishings and equipment from Wok Uptown today. A note on the window indicates that the popular Chinese spot is closed because of a fire, with no time frame yet for reopening.

The Xiao family has operated Wok Uptown for the past nine years and made it a favorite for takeout and delivery in the Uptown neighborhood. According to Jesse Xiao, daughter of the owners, an accidental fire destroyed the kitchen. "We are trying to restore the restaurant if possible," she says. "We want to thank all of our loyal customers for their support during this hard time."

The restaurant's Facebook page (where you can leave a note of encouragement) indicates that the fire took place about three weeks ago.