George Eder, the exec-chef/owner of Pizza Republica, got started early in restaurants, tossing pizza dough at his uncle's joint. "I was washing dishes, flipping dough and making pizzas — and I loved it, except for the fact that my uncle was incredibly secretive about his sauce," says Eder. "It was so damn good, but he never shared the recipe. Even now, he still won't part with it." After years working in other people’s restaurants, Eder finally opened the original Pizza Republica in 2008, giving the southern ’burbs a comfortable, stylish spot where customers can find “familiar and comfortable food done in a way that was truly authentic in style," he explains. And while his uncle may not have parted with his secret recipe, his mother and grandmother, who were not as reluctant, handed over their recipes for all the Italian classics.
- Price: $$$
- Hours: Monday-Wednesday 11 a.m.-2 p.m. & 4-9 p.m.; Thursday-Saturday 11 a.m.-2 p.m. & 4-10 p.m.; Sunday 4-9 p.m.
- Outdoor seating: Open-air patio
- Alcohol: Full bar
- Reservations: Recommended
- Parking: Lot available
- Extra Services: Private-group dining
- Use restaurant website to order/pay