Dear Stoner: Can I have a party in my business’s parking lot where people can smoke pot if the area is private?
Dear Hopeful: Yes, but there are some very important guidelines you must follow in order to keep a legal party from turning into an illegal drug ring:
1) It can’t be in your office or working place, nor can it officially be about work. (It is illegal for businesses, including cannabis businesses, to give away pot...although a BYOC business event is okay.) So make sure that everyone calls it a party and knows you’re personally funding it.
2) It must take place in a private area, and the party area itself must be enclosed — something like a large canopied tent with a curtain or flap at the entrance that closes.
3) Do not let anyone under 21 in the tent or allow any marijuana consumption outside of it.
4) Don’t publicly advertise the party or charge any sort of entrance fee or cover, because that will make it look like a business. It must be intimate, or the lines will get blurry to police, whether the party is legal or not.
5) Make sure it’s okay with the property owner.
Oh, and one more stipulation: Remember to invite me.
Have a question for our Stoner? E-mail email@example.com.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.