In yesterday's blog "Updated: The Jay Cutler-Josh McDaniels Broncos Bromance Hits the Rocks," Tyler Nemkov noted the latest legal difficulties of supremely gifted/equally boneheaded receiver Brandon Marshall, who was arrested for disorderly conduct over the weekend -- and even though the charges against him in the incident have been dropped, he's likely to earn a suspension from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell anyway.
In an attempt to lessen his penalty, Marshall will almost certainly hold a press conference in which he'll throw himself on the mercy of the court of public opinion. To prepare you for such groveling, we've assembled our five favorite quotes from apologies for previous transgressions; in the past five years, he's been charged with everything from from retail theft and trespassing to physical abuse and driving under the influence. Click "Continue" and glory in the regret.
5. March 2008: "There's been things that I've been involved with as far as DUI. Stupid. It's stupid. But it's one of those things that I have to take that and better myself. Learn from it. It's stupid... Being truthful, it is time for me to grow up on and off the field." (Sources: The Associated Press and the Colorado Springs Gazette)
4. October 2007: "I know the seriousness of it. A terrible mistake." (Source: The Denver Post)
3. September 2008: "I'm a nice guy and I'm going to continue to be me. I'm going to continue to do the work I've done in the community, and I have no regrets at all. Because if I didn't go through what I went through, I wouldn't be the man I am today and the man I'm going to be in the future... We make mistakes and all you've got to do is learn from them and grow, and sometimes those mistakes make you a stronger person. That's exactly what it's made me -- much wiser." (Source: Colorado Springs Gazette)
2. August 2008: "It's in the past. All I can do is worry about now. I can't worry about yesterday... It's just being more responsible, and being the best player I can be in the community and on the field. It's not hard. It's not rocket science. Like I said, I have a job to do and I plan on getting it done." (Source: Colorado Springs Gazette)
1. June 2008 (during a talk with students at Wyatt-Edison Charter School in Denver): "If you Google my name, you'll see a lot of negative things because I've made mistakes." (Source: The Rocky Mountain News)
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.