Just got a call from one of my daughters, who attends Chatfield High School in unincorporated Jefferson County. She wanted me to know that the school had been evacuated amid freshman orientation today (she's a junior, but she served as a freshman mentors) due to what she guessed was a gas leak. No confirmation on that yet, but a release from Jefferson County schools reveals that the scent has had repercussions, noting that as many as 22 staffers and students got sick and seven have been transported to area hospitals.
By the way, both my daughters shower regularly.
Read the Jeffco schools note after the jump:
Chatfield High School Evacuation
This afternoon, Chatfield High School was evacuated after an unknown irritant inside the school caused students and faculty to cough and choke. Up to 22 students and staff became ill and 7 were transported to a local hospital.
The students were dismissed around 1:30 p.m. School buses were on-site to provide transportation.
Today was freshman orientation with regular classes for all students starting on Monday.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.